Fugi hi tech built in obsolescence.

I had two of them ('85 and '90). Both sucked. Neither made it to 100Kmi.

Reply to
krw

*Your
Reply to
Tim Williams

LOL, 23 megabits?! My old Canon S1 IS originally came with a whopping 128MB CF card -- can't buy those things anymore, heck, can hardly even find CF anymore!

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

My Chinon/Kodak DC280 came with an 8MB CF card.

There is a lot of equipment out there that requires a 128 or 256M CF maximum card- they're difficult to buy, but still available. For example, some Tek scopes and Yokogawa process instruments.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Penniless racist trailer trash like Tucker couldn't afford it.

My first digital camera was a Kodak DC-120 "1Mpixel" - well made but looked more like a StarTrek tricorder than a camera. Ate AA batteries four at a time with a current draw of 1A for being on and 2A if the flash was charging. Even so it was a big advantage to going round the film/develop/scan or faster but more costly Polariod/scan loop. Still works 14 years later as does the original Canon Ixus that replaced it.

Nothing wrong with Fuji's film or electronics either - they took the world market off Kodak & Polaroid in both fields one after the other. Kodak actually had the lead in pro digital imaging at one point but to protect film sales they deliberately underplayed their hand :(

The Bayer digital camera sensor mask was a Kodak patented invention. Kodak PhotoCD was a brilliant image scanning product but they muddied the waters with manky PictureCD with the same initials. Most pros got caught out by it once and never came back. Nikon scanner sales soared.

If you really want super service buy Swiss kit. They are obliged for electromechanical kit to keep spares for ISTR 25 years. Prices to match.

Most dead digicams today are beyond economic repair. Lens servo or card contacts tend to be the first things to fail. Sometimes cleaning them will be enough. Tiny black thrips in the works is one mode of failure.

I thought these days that they had largely solved that problem. US cars are just too heavy, with sloppy suspension, gross understeer and slow to be interesting. That is until you put >6L engines in them.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Generous given the price of early CF cards. The DC-120 had 4MB internal memory that allowed it to be shop demoed without having to insert an expensive small memory card. Digital cameras were very new and expensive. Only early adopters with rapid turnaround requirements even considered them at the outset since resolution was barely adequate.

The hairlike male connectors for CF cards meant that the hamfisted could totally wreck an expensive unit by careless card insertion.

Most stuff can handle up to the limit of FAT16 file systems, there is a handful of older devices that croak on anything above FAT12.

Some firmware as recent as the early Pentax istD would baulk at memory cards larger than 1GB (actually it worked but only for the first GB).

2GB bugs are a more normal gotcha on the signed/unsigned int boundary.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

On a sunny day (Mon, 06 Aug 2012 03:37:27 -0400) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

These days there exist cards with a build in WiFi chip. That way you can wifi directly to get the data, and do not have to plug anything in or remove the card. I do not know if these things can stream directly, but it seems a logical idea.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Phased-array ultrasound scanners, electron micrscopes. electron beam microfabricators, stroboscopic electron beam testers, The Affinity Sensors "resonant mirror" protein-sensing system ... it's a long list.

Developing complex systems involves a lot of trouble-shooting, as you'd know if you'd ever done it. At Cambridge Instruments I occasionally also got dragged in to help with knotty problems on other projects, or stuff that had come up in production.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

notbob schrieb:

Hello,

it is not possible to time the start of rusting with such precision.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

ungli jigal talks about the story of four years life "Engineering Student"

subscribe for more footages.

Reply to
Jainee Singh

I doubt very seriously if it was uniformally progressive from day one. I went out and took some pictures on two occassions about a month before the shutter rusted and I sent it in for repair. Both days were wettish, one foggy the other sprinkly, but the camera never came in direct contact with water. I know the metal blade shutter rusted because the factory repair station told me. Olympus wanted $10 more to repair it than I could buy new one. Nevermind. I never bought a camera with a metal blade shutter again. So, I'm sure it was not planned obsolescence as much as planned cheapness.

nb

--
"Do you recognize me?  No!
...cuz I don't work here"

On a sunny day (6 Aug 2012 12:36:10 GMT) it happened notbob wrote in :

Olympus was involved in a big scandal with Japanese mafia, basically it was a money laundering operaton. It is possible the cameras were made with the scrap metal left after pressing counterfake coins.

Canon makes very good cameras with good lenses.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

We're at 120Kmi on a 2005 job, so far so good. We pulled all passenger seating so wife uses it as a delivery vehicle. Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

Who are you calling scruffy???

Why buy a racing car? Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

My Sony Mavica had a floppy disk slot. Has, actually: it still works.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Everything should be wireless.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The engines were crap but the real problem was the suspension and (uni)body. Chrysler transmissions suck, too, but at least my Voyagers were manuals. The '85 went through head gaskets every 30Kmi, like clockwork and the '90 just fell apart. The final blow was the rear shock towers rotting out.

Junk.

Reply to
krw

Regular camera maintenance generally prevents failures like rusty shutters. You treated your camera like driving a car without ever checking the oil. It deserved to rust out.

Reply to
rev.11d.meow

Including wireless!!!

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Geez, what a mess under my desk. Power strips, extension cords, printer cables, CAT5 cables and switches, USB ditto, UPS, wall warts, USB hard drives, mice extenders, video extenders, cables to device programmers and cameras and microscopes and stuff, speaker cables, and I think there's a computer in there somewhere.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers