Frequency adding.

Hello all,

Is it easy or even possible to add 2 low level frequencies? i.e. if I have

3kHz and 1.5kHz outputs can they be added to give 4.5kHz?

George.

Reply to
George Gosbee

"George Gosbee" a écrit dans le message de news: rqkCf.19294$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

You just need a mixer : Multiply the two input signals (at these frequencies an operationnal amplifier or a transistor will do it), you will get as an output the sum of (3-1,5)=1,5KHz and (3+1,5)=4,5KHz, plus some other mixing signals if the multiplier is not perfect. Why ? Just because cos(A)xcos(B)=1/2 x ( cos(A+B)à+cos(A-B)). Then you just need to pass your signal through a 4,5KHz band pass filter and you have your desired signal.

Cheers,

--
Robert Lacoste
ALCIOM - The mixed signal experts

Thanks for the quick reply, I should have said variable signal i.e. 0.3 kHz to 7.5 kHz with the second signal always half of that. Do I just forget the filter to do this?

George.

Reply to
George Gosbee

ge de

plus

ed to

kHz

he

No, you need a tracking filter, it gets a whole lot more complex

Reply to
cbarn24050

Have now solved the original problem with 3 diodes and 1 resistor see, Header -- LPG ecu diode sketch -- in, alt.binaries.schematics.

Thanks for all the help everyone and the lpg now works ok just a little fine tuning to do.

George.

George Gosbee wrote:

No, you need a tracking filter, it gets a whole lot more complex

Reply to
George Gosbee

Yes, a single side band (SSB) mixer does that, moreless. You can add a sideband to a carrier. The carrier and the other sideband are not fully suppressed, though. Depending on the frequency range, the carrier and the other sideband are suppressed 20 dB, 40dB, whatever.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

You can add them by using an FtoV chip on both inputs, adding the resulting voltages, and using a VtoF on the output. This works over a large range of frequencies. If you want to add a constant frequency, you just offset the input to the VtoF with a constant bias voltage.

--
Regards,
  Bob Monsen

"I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would
have designedly created parasitic wasps with the express intention of
their feeding within the living bodies of Caterpillars"
 -- Charles Darwin
Reply to
Bob Monsen

In article , George Gosbee wrote: [....]

Throw away one of the frequencies and use a PLL on the other.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith