Flyback Efficiency -- Looking for suggestions

What model do you have? Can it focus on small parts? I talked to the FLIR rep yesterday and he says that the cams good for electronics all cost at least $5K.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The lens on the E4 can be turned out to effect close focusing. Some other models most likely do the same. FLIR however did not make it easy to do this.

Reply to
tom

Unlocked phones are readily available. The only locked phones, anymore, are the provider subsidized phones. They may indeed be the majority but only because that's how most get their phones.

Apples and oranges. The voice only plans are significantly cheaper, not so the data plans. I just went through the comparisons before I re-upped with Verizon.

It makes sense that you don't use it because you've never had it to use!

...and you blame the inanimate object for people's behavior? Good grief! Sure, I may read my phone (it's a great Kindle reader) at a bar, if I'm alone. In the past I may have read a book, too.

Reply to
krw

I got the FLIR i5. It does not focus up close on small parts. However, I have learned to use it up close by using a pointer slightly above the board I'm viewing. The important part is that it is extremely sensitive to small temperature differences.

Reply to
John S

Your crystal ball is off. Sure I have, via the corporate phones and others. It's a nice feature but I rarely see an actual need.

I don't blame the object. It is that this object greatly facilitates personal isolationism and cocooning. Just like cars foster the habits of using them even for the most ridiculously short errands which is not good for society. Most people are weak in those respects.

Of course, we should not ban or limit either because that would be nanny state. But IMHO we shall advocate for some (voluntary) restraint on the part of the user. One reason why I prefer mountain biking. Gets people out of their cars, they become healthier and they can't freeze and whip out the cell phone every time it goes deedle-dee-bipp or whatever. Because it shows zero bars out there 8-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Then you probably never see the need for a laptop or the Internet, either (or both). They're really nice to have while waiting for planes, even.

No, that's the same argument as the gun-grabbers use. Blame the tool for the miscreant. You're a control freak.

But we should look down our nose at those who don't act as we think they should? Not a very Christian attitude.

Reply to
krw

Sure, where you have a decent sized screen and purposely sit down to do work. At the bar or places like that I find it disgusting and often rather disrespectful.

Nope. I am a 2nd amendment advocate. Got the T-shirt to prove it :-)

That does not mean that education shall not happen to avoid mis-use or over-use. Not so much by the government but by peers. This is why I like and prefer places where incessant yapping on cell phones is discouraged or impossible.

We shall not look down on them, we shall keep reminding them. That is a very Christian attitude.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Um, the phone is the Internet connection (though it's also *quite* good for reading ebooks, too). I suppose you trust customer information to public WiFi?

OK, so you can live with the cognizant dissonance.

...and it's your job to educate? Government's?

OK, so now we know you're a JW, of the worst stripe. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Books work better.

lunatic fringe electronics

I used to think that. No longer! My phone is the perfect size for reading and the display is sharp.

Reply to
krw

Neither the Wifi nor a cell company. This is what encryption was invented for.

As for reading, that kind of ends to be fun for most people when they are around 40 and start needing glasses. More than once did I have to switch from reading glasses to my SMT soldering glasses (always with me on biz trips) when reading something on someone's smart phone. Yeah, they become larger but at some point you can't get them into a pocket and then it's essentially a computer again, a tablet.

Not just mine, ours, but most of all that of parents. Which nowadays fail a lot when it comes to teaching courtesy.

No, a Lutheran who does take the bible seriously :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You're *really* trusting. Never heard of man-in-the-middle, I suppose.

I'm significantly older than 40 and have *no* trouble with my phone. In fact, I found on my last business trip (two weeks ago) that I can no longer read my work laptop. *with* my glasses. I'm due for a new laptop anyway.

You're *NOT* the parents of everyone in the restaurant. You are a JW!

Which book is the mention of cell phones in?

Reply to
krw

Sometimes people actually recycle the snubber energy, which is what I thought you possibly meant. That's cool but takes more parts.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

A man-in-the-middle cracking the encryption of files sent encrypted? Are you sometimes worried that the sky might fall?

That's you but the majority of people with a need for reading glasses does not enjoy reading the small screen of a smart phone. They do it because they have to. It happened more than once that a visitor tried to look something up on the smart phone, found it, squinted, then said "George, can we use you PC to look at this?".

As I said it is our resposibility. Of course that does not mean waltzing into a restaurant and approaching strangers with "Hey, you! Yes, YOU there with that smart phone!"

It does mean occasionally reminding friends, family and most of all our kids if a habit festers that isn't socially nice. I am quite outspoken about this but in a friendly way.

2nd Telephonium 3 :-)

The bible talks about being courteous and respectful to each other, not obnoxious.

Ephesians 4:23-32 and many others.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

EggZakLee my point.

Reply to
Robert Baer

...and the batteries last a bit longer!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Nope. You're logging into an unknown network. Do you leave your network open to anyone walking down the street? Well, you are.

I never said I didn't wear glasses. I wear progressives, in fact (part of the trouble I have with my work laptop). Maybe you need to see your optometrist?

Like laptops, there are all sorts of phones and some are better than others. There is a *wide* variation in the quality of the hardware. Of course there are limitations but you have no first-hand knowledge of them. IOW, you're talking through your hat, just to justify your phobias.

If "friends" offend you so much, why do you consider them "friends"? Sure, I would correct _my_ child but never a friend. I'm not their parent nor priest.

I musta missed that one. ;-)

You are taking offence. They're not giving it. IOW, it's *your* problem.

Reply to
krw

Not the way you use your vibrator on this NG.

Reply to
krw

Ever heard of virus protection?

Ever heard of cell tower spoofing? Police out here uses it all the time. You think you are connecting to a tower of your net work but in reality you are first connecting to a cell node of theirs.

I also hope you have the Bluetooth in your cell phone turned off because that's the silver platter for malicious folks.

That's a bad word here :-)

Some day. But they won't be able to get me thefull range back unless I do Laser surgery.

I've used iPhones (pretty much all), several generations of Samsung Galaxy and others. Where is that miracle phone you are talking about?

A 4-6" screen just ain't cutting it, whether it has retina technology or whatever fancy tricks.

Because I am a tolerant person. I do not expect perfection from people. But I do expect openness, including to criticism.

Ever heard the term "Friends don't let friends drive drunk"? Guess not. That is the ultimate example of correcting a friend, it could save their lives and that of others.

Back to confirmation class then :-)

Yapping on the cell in the middle of a quiet place where others gather is offensive. Respectful people don't do that. Same with interrupting a lively conversation when some electronic gizmo in a pocket goes bip-bonk, then whipping it out and turning one's attention to that thing. Rebuking does not require words. I just walk away. That does get the message across regularly. I know for sure because an apology followed.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Anti-virus software does nothing when they're already inside your network. It only helps against *known* viri, as well. You really are a trusting soul.

It's a *lot* more difficult than WiFi spoofing.

..and you leave the WiFi door to the barn wide open and worry about the back door.

They're just as all good progressives should be - invisible. ;-)

Range? All you need is one position to read a phone - the same as your laptop, BTW. Being able to focus at different distances just cuts down on the pairs glasses you have to carry. ;-) Laser surgery won't help, here, either. Though I understand cataract surgery helps a lot, somehow.

Nothing miracle. It's a Galaxy Note-5. I'm sure an iPhone 6s+ would be just as good (I just about went to the dark side, this time). My previous phone (Moto Maxx) wasn't nearly as good, though its resolution was almost as good. It wasn't quite there.

It's not a 27" UWQHD, no, but it's equivalent of a paperback book and much easier to read in almost all interior lighting conditions (possibly outside, too, though would suck down the batteries pretty quickly). It's also a much safer hotspot than any open hotspot.

IOW, you're a nag. I'd rather accept people as they are (or not) rather than trying to change them to suit my purposes. I'm not a control freak. I'm responsible only for my children (and no longer), not others.

There is a rather large difference between being homicidal and being a boor. If they want to be a boor, I can find someone else to be with. If they want to be homicidal, it is my responsibility to at least try to stop them.

Nah, they kicked me out the first time. I asked too many embarrassing questions. ;-)

You're changing the subject, again. We were discussing reading or perhaps texting. At least if their lips aren't moving, they've created no disturbance. It's all in *your* head.

Of course it could be an important message, like a kid in an accident. A cow-orker had a code with his wife. She'd call and let it ring a couple of times. If it was important, she'd hang up and call again. Twice was "answer NOW". He'd step out of a meeting and take the call. It worked.

I don't get a lot of calls (maybe one or two a day) but I'll look to see who it is. I can listen and chew my food at the same time, too.

Reply to
krw