Flyback Efficiency -- Looking for suggestions

That might be a reference to Jack Gerritsen?

He'd been jamming amateur radio repeaters, Red Cross radio, MARS, California Highway Patrol, and the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary (during a search-and-rescue operation).

There are other, similar cases on record:

Dave Platt

[...]

Sounds interesting. We have Virgin Mobile phone-only. Minutes never expire and over the years we've racked up over $300 in unused funds that would instantly evaporate if we switch to another carrier. It uses Sprint and that network seems to have a bit better coverage in remote areas than a friend's TracFone. As a mountain biker remote coverage is important to me.

Their cheapest data plan is $35/mo, plus the new commie tax.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

No wonder those guys got locked up. Blocking emergency radio traffic or ramming vehicles is serious stuff. Probably all of them need some psychological help.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I wouldn't like to not have my smartphone

For work usage:

Taking pictures of test setups etc Checking SED during boring meetings HP48 emulator calculator Sound spectrum analyzer Flashlight Datasheets WIFI analyzer

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Agreed. Impulse control problems, inability-to-learn-from-their-mistakes problems... they seem to be "loose cannons" in a social sense, and radio jamming is just one of the ways they act out.

Reply to
Dave Platt

That's probably what I'd use it for. But my little Samsung netbook works fine for all this, it's just larger and heavier. Also, phones have screens that are too small. When you get older you know why ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Not necessary. It has its own battery.

Reply to
krw

Ouuu, sound spectrum analyzer would be nice! Can I "look" at water falls and babbling brooks?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Way back when someone suggested two steps. (If it's not to late to try something else.) Maybe there's some commercial product to do the first step? George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Sure it's possible. It's a PITA and doesn't really save much, if anything but such plans are certainly available.

Reply to
krw

...or the judge was a ham.

Reply to
krw

This was in New Orleans, a long time ago. The judge was an old crust who didn't know anything about ham radio, but said that we can't have people going around breaking the law.

lunatic fringe electronics

Any progress on this?

RL

Reply to
legg

I'll have to ask Virgin Mobile if they allow it. Unfortunately phones are mostly provider-locked in the US so you are at their merci. As for savings the difference is huge. With the new commie tax it's roughly $8 versus $40 per month. Now I don't mind paying that but not if I really never use the data part of it. I consider it one of the not so great "advancements" of civilization when 10 people sit at a bar, nobody talks and they all incessantly tap on and stare at their "smart" phones. Or you are in a nice conversation, something goes bipp-boink deedle-dee and the other party excuses themselves to stare at that little screen. I don't want to belong to that crowd.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I've got several FFT packages on my netbook. So the other day I sat in a Boeing and turned it on. The weather was iffy and the pilots tried various altitudes while hand-flying. It looked like they had permission to dodge storm cells as they saw fit. You could see the lines proportional to how the turbo-fan engines spooled up and down upon control input. It was impossible to hear over all the din such as rattling but the waterfall display clearly showed those lines. That was cool.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Or change the snubber, so more energy goes straight into the load.

lunatic fringe electronics

Well, i have been avoiding this mess, but.. There is this talk of a snubber dissipating energy and creating not-too-useful heat. You whine about poor efficiency and ignore the obvious reason.

Take this waterfall of energy and use it!

Reply to
Robert Baer

I'm sure he's open to useful ideas. Small flybacks with non-dedicated magnetics doesn't sound like an application that's likely to welcome added complexity.

If he's really using SIC schottkys for the clamp, he could reduce the energy burnt in the clamp by replacing it with a rectifier that actually has measurable reverse recovery, as this will retransfer leakage energy back into the primary. Where it goes from there is another issue, but ideally it can be used to do something, if the clamp alternative is to burn-only.

Poor coupling is an issue with flybacks, but not with small flybacks, because 'who cares'.

RL

Reply to
legg

I did that type of troubleshooting, too, until I remembered I had purchased a FLIR prompted by a JL post. I used it and found that I had needlessly removed two ICs because the ceramic filter capacitor was leaky. That FLIR can see very tiny temperature differentials.

I'll never be without one henceforth. Thanks, John L.

Reply to
John S

How about using this topology with a bridge circuit (

) at the AC output?:

Here is a one [active] switch inverter - but besides the one switch, it also has two parallel coupled reverse-blocking-switches closer to the output, that functions as active rectification - see the schematic at page 2:

A Synchronous Single Switch Inverter - Purdue School of:

Quote: "... Four modes of operation were detected in creation of negative and positive polarity voltages. ... Not only did the bench test work, it lead to the discovery of several other circuits and controllers for high-power inverters with lower switching loss, higher voltage performance and lighter reconfigured circuits.

Therefore, as the number of high frequency switching devices is decreased, the efficiency is increased. For instance, a 90% efficient [H-bridge] converter becomes 97.2% efficient. ... CONCLUSION A new power inverter circuit was introduced that required only one high frequency switching transistor. The inverter used a synchronizing structure to change the voltage polarity on demand. Therefore, real time generation of infinite voltage levels was realized. The state space equations demonstrated a forth order system. ..."

The inverter could be used for solar micro-inverters:

The inverter could also be used for:

  • brushless motor
  • step motor

The circuit is a "all-in-one". It could be used for (T1 and T2 refer to the iupui.edu article):

  • Positive DC, DV. T1 is used for active rectification. T2 is not used.

  • Negative DC, DV. T2 is used for active rectification. T1 is not used.

  • Any curve shape can be amplified with a signal from a suitable signal generator. (retangular, saw tooth, triangular...) T1 is used for positive curve parts - and T2 is used for negative curve parts.

Could it be used for a Class D audio amplifier with the right control circuit? Low enough distortion?

The circuit bear resemblance with a reversed SEPIC:

-

Indiana University. (2012, October 17). New class of power inverter could mean cheaper, faster hybrid vehicles. ScienceDaily:

Citat: "... Izadian's invention, the result of a creative reconfiguration of an electrical circuit during a laboratory experiment, would make inverters cheaper, lighter and therefore more efficient than current models. ... For example, unwanted harmonics are greatly reduced with Izadian's invention. ..."

-

Additional reading:

Active rectification (synchronous rectification):

-

They must be but besides the one switch, it also has two parallel coupled e.g. Reverse Blocking IGBT (RB-IGBT). (Or two serially connected Power MOSFETs. The Power MOSFETs must be connected so that their substrate diodes have opposite directions):

Application Characteristics of an Experimental RB-IGBT (Reverse Blocking IGBT) Module:

A High Efficiency Indirect Matrix Converter Utilizing RB-IGBTs:

-

Definition:

Quote: "...

  • Active switch: Switch state is controlled exclusively by a third terminal (control terminal).

  • Passive switch: Switch state is controlled by the applied current and/or voltage at terminals 1 and 2. ... Single-quadrant switch: on-state i(t) and off-state v(t) are unipolar. [e.g. diode-like, reverse blocking] ..."

Better name: One active switch inverter.

The two active rectification switches are passive switches.

.

A half bridge uses two active switches.

A full bridge uses four active switches.

-

Alternative:

Design:

T1 serially connected to T2.

T1 is N-MOSFET with drain "up" (drain connected to L2 and C1).

T2 is N-MOSFET with drain "down" (drain connected to zero/commen).

T1 and T2 sources connected together.

.

Active rectification:

When positive output is needed T2 is on. T1 do active rectification.

When negative output is needed T1 is on. T2 do active rectification.

-

For T1 and T2 (passive switching/active rectification):

  • you either use two parallel RB-IGBT (as mentioned in the article)
  • or use two series connected MOSFETs

I have unfortunately not tested it yet.

Glenn

Reply to