Flux gate question

It's TJI. TJI floor joists don't last as long as solid wood floor joists during a fire. The danger to fire fighters is falling through the floor. The glue used outgasses and is rather nasty if allowed to accumulate. Inspectors are also very picky about where I can drill holes for wiring. However, TJI joists are stiffer than solid wood, and will span longer distances:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I just have a hard time trusting glorified particle board. A lot of new stuff has developed issues decades later. Like this plastic plumbing material where, after a major lawsuit, one of our engineers and thousands of others had their homes completely re-plumbed for free. Because it began to leak.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yup. Houses built before about 1970 rule. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Except for energy efficiency. Ours has single-pane windows, thick glass but still not very insulating. In contrast to Europe window replacement is prohibitively expensive in the US (is there some sort of racket going on?). Anyhow, the point of amortization would be some time in the very distant future when we'd be in a nursing home or entered eternal life.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Ah, just turn the thermostat down. During the heating season we keep our 1960 house around 58 degrees at night, 63 in the daytime.

(Personally I'd like to keep it at 63 even in the A/C season, but oh well.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That would absolutely not fly with my wife. She wants it at least 69F in the living room. That's where the wood stove is and the office area will be 64-66F usually. This area didn't see many harsh winters in the past (pre-globalwarming or whatever they call that) so houses weren't built for that. Even back around 2000 we could heat it with roughly two cords of wood per winter. Now we need five, although this winter might squeeze through at four cords plus. Unless another cold snap happens.

That became a lot easier when I installed an evap cooler. Plus no more dry air and thus no more headaches. It's very pleasant in the house when that thing runs.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Running a swamp cooler in NY in the summer would produce no effect.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You might be surprised. On days where it is fairly humid out here (30-50%) it won't produce much cooling but those are also not very hot days. Of course if you have lots of 110F days with tropical humididty it won't work.

According to this link NY and CA aren't all that different:

Ok, NY ain't on there but I assume CT is close, in the afternoon even lower than CA. Sometimes we just run it on low to keep a light breeze throughout the house.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Nope. Likewise, 63°F in my Arizona house in winter is painfully cold, because the humidity is 7% outdoors, and even drier inside. ...Jim Thompson

The times you really need A/C are when it's 90 degrees and 90% humidity. Usually one or two weeks per year.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Maybe in NY. Here in GA or AL it's from June to September.

Reply to
krw

Which is one reason I don't live there.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It sure beats -30F and shoveling snow. I left that crap (and the NE taxes) behind for good.

Reply to
krw

firefighters

glass

replacement

It's a rare winter that it gets down to zero Fahrenheit here, and I shovel snow about twice a year. Guys like George Herold are the ones with the snow problem.

I'm from the Canadian Riviera, anyway.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Vancouver Island? Why did you ever leave that area? It's supposedly gorgeous up there. Can't say that so much for NY, except maybe some areas in the Catskills.

Ok, Big Blue is a good reason but after retiring from there I'd most likely get out of NY.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I didn't retire from IBM--I'm just about the same age as you. I was 49 when I left.

I left Vancouver to go to grad school at Stanford, and then went to IBM Research. I had another opportunity at HP Labs, but I really hated living in the Bay Area. Westchester is a beautiful place--if you think otherwise, come visit some time and I'll show you around. The Hudson Valley is amazing. I could use some lower taxes, it's true, but at this point most of my toys are tax-deductible anyway. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

... dang, you are right.

Can't blame you. No ten horses would get me to live there.

Westchester is a beautiful place--if you think

There certainly must be pretty areas as well. But when an engineer whom I knew in NY exclaimed "I can't afford that property tax any longer!" (they had just received a humongous tax hike notice in the mail) and had to sell the house, that's when I decided to never ever live in that state.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Property tax here is a bit on the high side, it's true. It depends very much on what town you live in, though. Folks I know in Pocantico pay about the same property tax I do, on a house about three times the size.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I lived in P'ok for almost 20 years. It wasn't unusual at all to see

0F, or well below. One winter it got to -35F but I was in No. Cal. at the time. I also remember the blizzard of '78. We had 24" of snow and I spent the night in a fire house.

I much prefer the Redneck Riviera. The beaches are much nicer. September is a perfect time to go.

Reply to
krw

c/Catskills/Adirondacks/

..but it's still NY.