Flux gate question

THAT'S OLD! ;-)

Well, my houses (one is for sale) were both built in 2007. Both have cute wiring. Both are wired in a star but one is missing some copper in the middle of some of the runs and this one is missing the end of the wires that come together. It seems inspectors miss little details like that. :-( I'm rewiring it as need be. Other than the two bedrooms upstairs, it's not too hard (unfinished basement). I'll have to rip up some sheetrock to get the upstairs (one room won't be too hard).

Reply to
krw

Nah. As a kid I participated in training at a public swimming pool that was built by the Romans and still in service. No kidding. Of course they had installed chlorination equipment and such per latest health standards. But some of the tile work was really ancient and so was the structure of the building.

New houses have advantages when it comes to infrastructure but typically not when it comes to build quality. This one has massive beams everywhere. Raised foundation, lots of 2*12 underneath, piered ever few feet, 2" concrete pour on the floors, nothing moves at all if you jump up and down in the center of the room here. Try that in a new house. Same on the roof, you could do a Sirtaki dance up there with a large group and none fo the rafters would wobble. Because even those are overkill by today's "standard".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

sure you can all the IP phone's I've seen have internal switches.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

Run conduit for the signal wires. That way you can add and delete as required.

I like "Smurf Tube", also known as Carlon Resi-Gard:

Another vendor of similar conduit:

Type NM electrical conduit will also work, but is more expensive.

Don't forget to leave a pull string in the conduit.

I have 1" conduit running between floors and to the roof in my house, but not along the walls. Not optimum, but better than a giant tangle of cables running up the walls.

One of my customers is currently ripping out coax, long CAT5e runs, and 25 pair telco cable. They're being replaced by CAT6 and fiber. If they had installed conduit, it would have been MUCH easier. Conduit is also a good idea if you're thinking of home theater.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Far more than 30. See: For G.711, 30 phones (60 channels) over ethernet, would occupy only about 6Mbits/sec. That's about the maximum for a 10base-T. 100base-T probably maxes out at 800 channels (400 phones) for 76Mbits/sec (about

75% utilization).

I don't know of any 400 phone systems, but I do know of a 150 phone installation that has a single 100base-T connection between the Asterisk server and the phone network. They did have a bottleneck between two buildings that were previously connected with a 25Mbit/sec maximum thruput wireless bridge. However, the Ubiquiti nanostation Loco M5 replacements are now doing about 120Mbits/sec, thus eliminating that bottleneck.

My Linksys (Sipura) SPA-921 and SPA-941 phones do not have an internel switch. My SPA-942 does. At the low end, it's usually an option.

In most instruments, it's a 10/100baseT switch. That's fine, but I'm running 1000base-T (gigabit) ethernet, which makes connecting the phone between the server and the computah a bad idea.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I wish I could but it becomes nearly impossible as a afterthought because I'd have to rip out drywall and, worse, tile work and stuff in order to get through walls. With tiles that results in major remodel because there are no spares and the chances of obtaining such tile after more than 40 years are zilch.

Snaking a CAT-5 around things is a little easier. Quad-shield coax, different story, but through conduit with narrow turns that isn't easy either.

I don't run anything along the roof on in the partial attic. It'll bake out over summer and eventually become brittle.

Our home theater performances are provided by two Labradors :-)

But seriously, TV or movies rank very low on our food chain.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Then you must split the string, meaning installer work. And when someone unplugs the wall plug the rest of the string quits working?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I ran multiple 3/4" between most buildings on my property. Four per set for phone, internet, video/security and a spare.

I've used 25 pair to pull new cables in the past. I kept all that 25 pair cable for other uses. I'm down to about 100 feet, and rarely see the stuff any more. I used some of it to connect the custom controller I built to the tally board for telethons at a TV station. I had to add a piece of #14 AWG for the return, because a single AWG 24 couldn't handle all 49 segments at 50 feet. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yep. Add a few more dollars for me to drag around a borrowed cable certifier and bless the wiring. Split pairs with CAT5 or CAT5e will usually fail the NEXT (near end crosstalk test) at 10base-T. However, if less than about 30 meters long, the cable will usually pass at

100Mbits/sec and presumably 1000base-T (my borrowed tester doesn't do Gigabit).

However, split pairs are becoming unpopular today because of the prevalence of PoE (power over ethernet) systems, especially for VoIP phones and ethernet switches. I've undone some of my previous abominations and ran new cable in order to accommodate PoE.

Yep. Using the phone as an ethernet switch is not a great idea for this reason. Unplug the phone, and the downstream device(s) quit. However, if the phone is powered by PoE, it's less of a problem. The real problem is that it breaks the star topology and converts it into a daisy chain style ethernet, which resurrects all of the problems that were present in the older Cheapernet (10base2) coax systems. You can daisy chain ethernet devices, but only if the nodes (switches) are properly powered (PoE or UPS) and monitored (SNMP managed switch).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I've never had to do it, but I read somewhere that one cable installer opened the wall from the outside, instead of removing tile on the inside. You have tile in the closet?

I've done in the wall installs using a 4ft flexible auger bit and positioner. However, I won't be doing any more of those, because I sold my kit to a competitor. I'm getting too old to crawl under houses or play acrobat in the attic. However, it's not beneath my limited dignity to hire kids and lunatics to do the dirty work.

You only need quad shielded if you're worried about leakage or ingress. Inside coax can be double shielded (foil + braid). Just use some decent compression connectors.

In my never humble opinion, it's actually easier to work with moderately stiff RG-6/u cable because it doesn't produce a Gordian Knot inside the wall. However, if you must have flexy coax, Belden make a flavor that has two layers of 93% braid, and no foil. Look for Belden 1694F. The only catch is that it needs some uncommon compression connector size.

There's an office building nearby where I rebuilt the phone wiring, because it was so bad, that the phone company installers refused to do any inside wiring. Before: After: Note the blue 3/4" smurf tubes. Whomever did the building wiring ran a few of these following a snake path with rather sharp corners. Despite the smooth interior, the only way to get anything around the sharp corners is with a pull line. Hint: Don't use nylon line which stretches, cotton which rots, or clothes line which the mice like to eat.

The exposed part of the conduit on the roof is 1 1/2" gray PVC electrical conduit, with the appropriate rams head and waterproofing. It's been on the roof and in the sun for at least 10 years and looks fairly good. I will confess to cleaning off the accumulated moss and mold every year but no sign of UV embitterment or surface corruption.

I find that about 1 hour of total vegetation before bed clears what's left of my brain, so I don't have nightmares about everything I did wrong that day and lets me sleep sufficiently well to make new mistakes the next day.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

CAT-5E installed by the Romans? ;-)

A friend lived in the oldest structure in the town. A mutual acquaintance had gotten a new job selling replacement windows and the two were chatting about replacement windows for his house. When told how old the house was (built somewhere between 1800 and 1803), the mutual acquaintance asked "did you buy it new?". ...and you wonder why some people sell for a living.

Nothing moves when you jump on the floors of my AL house, either. It's built on a slab. ;-) The garage rafters are all 2x12s on 16" centers. I had to raise the floor to get over the center beam (another

9") so I built it up with 2x8s vertically with a 2x3 cap on the bottom, each run on 16" centers at right angles to the 2x12s. It doesn't move either.

This house uses the engineered laminate floor joists. They're pretty damned solid, thought there are a couple of squeaks where the subfloor could have been attached better. My VT house was built like crap, comparatively. Older is not necessarily better.

Reply to
krw

The Romans invented everything. Just ask any modern Roman.

(...)

In about 1981, I bought one of the first IBM PC (5150) machines. Naturally, such a work of art requires a suitable computer table or desk. At the time antique furniture, usually deported from England, was the fashion. I went to the local antique dealer and asked if he had an antique computer desk. He looked at me rather curiously and noted that they didn't have computers when this antique furniture was made. I felt like a total idiot, but bought an antique table anyway.

I built my house upside-down. I bought a house on stilts. Only about

30% of the house was on solid ground (cut and fill). Over a period of about 10 years, I poured a foundation and added two rooms below the house. 30 years later, it's still not done. One advantage of building my own is that it's fairly close to what I wanted. One disadvantage of building my own is that I didn't have a clue what I was doing and made more than a few mistakes. Disaster was averted by my hiring a real contractor about half way through.

Now that I understand the wrong way to do things, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the right way. (Apologies to Arthur Conan Doyle).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

No kidding. Try to install central HVAC in a 125 year old log cabin.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Pre-installed structured wiring is getting pretty standard. It may be code in some places.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Yikes, that is well into my red zone of projects i wouldn't want touch.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

What was to be a two day job took the company three weeks, and they had bid a fixed price. I bet they fired that salesman, but it was probably the only log cabin with aluminum siding he's ever seen. :)

It was across the street from my house in Ohio. One of the first houses built there in the early to mid 1800s. there was another, next door. My house had a ballon frame, with 14" x 14" timbers for the corner posts so it was likely built later.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, up in the house. There's also walls with lava rock on one side and tile on the other.

You don't want to do that in California. Then the goons can come out and they could hit you up for all sorts of fees and fines. Once I did a major job here at the house. When a chunk of wall came out I saw a major power cable taking an undocumented odd angle turn. My saw had barely missed it, twice. I broke into a sweat after that job.

In our house they insulated outer and inner walls with aluminum-backed fiber. Makes it all somewhat sound-proof but pipe/cable detectors simply won't work.

Yeah, but I had to buy two 500ft spools for the re-wiring. Didn't want to buy another two.

Nice job. Reminds me that I still have to put down two 66 blocks in the closet. But first I want to build a small cabinet for it, I don't like this stuff in the open.

Then you are lucky. Even the plastic water pipes here turn brown and brittle unless you paint them within the first year.

I have some of my best Gyro Gearloose thoughts when in bed. So there's always a pen and notepad. Occasionally stuff I wracked my brain with for hours suddenly falls into place with one little nifty idea.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

No, but indoor plumbing :-)

Ouch, ouch ...

I guess the "idea" of the president to have every kids at 4 and up educated by the government on the taxpayer dime instead of by their parents will certainly fix this :-(

A new house next door has that but I won't use it. The firefighters have a very different view about his laminated stuff:

Quote "One of our largest hazards in construction today is the TGI laminated floor joists that we are finding in residential construction".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to