First ever PCB design - take a peek?

The main reason is simply because it is ugly and looks unprofessional. It is really an urban myth that right angles are "bad" in an electrical sense. i.e. the corner does *not* increase electromagnetic radiation as electrons "fly" off the corner.

right angle track, might be important for very fine tolerance tracks (like 4 thou)

All the more reason to use as large a pads as possible.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

(snip)

I think you could ask 100 people and they'd all do it differently. That doesn't equate to better.

Although I normally work in multi-layer, every new project is assessed for the practicality of single-sided. This one could be done S/S with possibly only a couple of jumpers.

Because when the etching takes place, the insides of 90deg corners can get over-etched and cause breaks. Not a major issue with decent track sizes, but to be avoided nevertheless. Use a small length at 45deg to "bevel' the corner.

There are lots of cheap irons, and there are lots of good irons. Very few are both. You are looking at >>$A100 for anything half-decent. I personally use an ancient Weller, and will do so until it dies.

The key elements you want are constant temp (whether knob adjustable or by tip selection a la Weller system) and a decent choice of small tip sizes. 100 thou pitch is no drama unless your iron was designed for soldering gutters. 50 thou requires a bit more practice/experience. I doubt you will find anything below

2mm (~80 thou) in through-hole.
Reply to
budgie

I'm planning to use a Diamond Systems Quartz-MM

and actually it claims 4ma of output, which makes me feel better. I wish getting a card with ten timers cost $21, not $210, but then I'm a software guy - I think hardware ought to be free anyway.

I'm toying with going to SMD. When I reworked my design to use a CMOS buffer instead of an op amp, everything simplified and I ended up with just one trace on other layer. Are there other people who feel that soldering SMD is a piece of cake?

Reply to
ScottM

"ScottM" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

No that's software which is free. Just copy it and voilà. Costs nothing.

Almost everybody.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Most people do, it's easy. Stick with SO packages and 1206/0805 parts and you'll be fine. Easier to make your own SMD board too as there are much fewer holes to drill (or none if you have a simple layout), and the board sits nice and flat on the bench.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Except for large caps. He probably need a few big ones anyway, 20XX?

Not if you have parts on the bottom too.

Reply to
linnix