Filter cap choice for ultra low ripple

You just paid $50k for a 6669A? wow...get your money back, I'll sell you two for half that price X-P

Reply to
DemonicTubes

When dealing with 50/60Hz transformers, tf resistance limits reservoir charge current. Then huge caps just give reduced ripple.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

This is true for small transformers, but with any larger transformers (e.g. those requiring soft starter to protect house fuses) will see the feeding network impedance.

In addition to a large current distortion, there will also be some voltage distortion due to flattening of the voltage waveform.

Reply to
upsidedown

It's easier than typing AlwaysWrong, AW.

In 1991 it may have been.

Sold for less than $1K. Pocket change. I spend 5 times that on Ebay every month. Must be a reason why they're going so cheap, maybe they're a POS?

Anyway, I've never worked on one.

I usually work on HP/Agilent generators, although I repaired a Marconi fairly recently. I've never seen one with a linear power supply.

Take a look in the service manual that covers the 66XX series. Module A13 is referenced as a switching power supply.

Reply to
JW

When AW says "you lose" it means that he is wrong yet again.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yeah, I guess that's why he's abandoned the thread.

Reply to
JW