feynman video and photons

Which begs the question; "which direction are these 'lobes and rings' pointed?"

--
  Keith
Reply to

Why North, Ofcourse!

Reply to
Abstract Dissonance

Towards the bonds, or away from them, of course! Nevermind that the excited electron probably isn't bound to a molecule, let alone a crystal lattice anymore. :-P

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

They are "real" in that they're consistently observed, and counterexamples are not. Ever. Energy, Planck's constant, and the frequency of light _always_ have the same relationship.

Unless you have some candidate "other factors" to talk about, you're flailing. Now carefully reread your OP excerpt and my response below.

Well, did you? If you're gonna trot out the FEL, take another look at how they work. The tunable field the electron beam sees is equivalent to the first "input" photon that starts the cascade in an ordinary laser. Claims that quantum mechanics aren't involved in the operation of FELs are naive.

"Space and time _itself_"? Shirley you can come up with a better troll than a simple singular/plural conflict.

Many people (including me) would be immensely pleased if spacetime (note the singular) could be demonstrated to be quantized. So far nobody's managed it. But the universe generally doesn't give a rat's ass what we'd like; all experiment to date shows that spacetime is most specifically _not_ quantized. If you think you know how to show that it is, please describe (or better yet, do) an experiment to prove it. That would be a task with elements relevant to this newsgroup.

Anyway, your original question "Where does the photon come from?" was answered. If you want to argue the existence of an aether or bloviate about crap New-Agey misuses of the word "harmonics", you'd better start another thread. Say, in sci.physics.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Mark L. Fergerson

huh?

There has been no experiments to date that prove spacetime is not quantized(if you are right then name one). The fact is that the universe is probably infintely more complex than we can every contemplate. Our notions of space, time, motion, energy, etc can be totally wrong. Just because they seem to work could be coincidence. Ofcourse you will say that is not probable since it works so well... but who are you to say quantify reality? Its not that I don't agree with the fact that we are probably on the right track... I just won't say, and believe it is wrong to say, that we are on the right track. If you agree with me then this opens up all kinds of potential problems.... physicists should worry to much about that though since it is in the realm of metaphysics and doesn't have to much utility at the moment.

um... have you been taking your meds lately? (Note who you are quoting.. I am not the OP you are replying to half the time. i.e, I never mentioned aether or harmonics).

Jon

Reply to
Abstract Dissonance

Harder to tell cranks apart some days than others.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Mark L. Fergerson