Favorite reverse bias protection for battery circuits

And then you have large companies where you write to a provided email link, asking a question where it's obvious that major sales volume could result, get no response, ask at another email address, get no response. Recently happened at ON Semi, a manufacturer whose parts I otherwise really like. Sad. All the while everyone laments about the economy :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It's a Microchip charge pump regulator. Using two, one to provide

3.3VDC for most of the circuit, and one to boost the LED drive to a constant current of 20mA. Although, I am thinking of lowering that to 12mA to give more life...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Googling on MC1253 yields nada... You typo'd... it's MCP1253 :-)

Just put an NPN in the ground feed. ...Jim Thompson

Cowards: No V/I characteristics around zero.

Hides a potential can of worms.

..... the normally-off synchronous rectifier has been a bee in my bonnet for a long time.

RL

Reply to
legg

he

Joerg, you big spender! Use an n-FET--they're better and cheaper--in the ground lead.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Yup, that's what I'd do in this case :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Where do you get a discrete NMOSFET that will be thoroughly on at 1.8V VGS?

The Micrel part _may_ work. ...Jim Thompson

Here's one:

50m ohm at 1.5V Vgs.

Does n-channel still offer a cost advantage over p-channel for very low voltage devices?

Here's a p-channel device with 113m ohm at 1.2V Vgs.

Apparently a SC-70 can dissipate 19W if you can hold the case to

25°C...

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Plenty of others. If it has to be cheap (and somehow it always has to be...), here's an example at around 15 cents, Rdson guaranteed down to 1.5V:

You need to get out into the world of discretes some more :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]

I don't think so...

It appears that the N-channel part is made on an P-substrate and vice-versa.

[snip]

Nice devices! ...Jim Thompson

Nope! I avoid markets that are priced like popcorn.

Except for my own G-jobs :-) ...Jim Thompson

Oh, it's not always that way. Roughly half of my designs aren't required to be rock-bottom in BOM cost. Although I can't help it, the calculator in my head is always running. Sometimes clients are surprised when they see the (working) circuit. "You mean, that's it?"

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I get that all the time. I really enjoy finding clever solutions to difficult problems. If I ever lose that capability I'll simply self-dispatch :-) ...Jim Thompson

That's squarely against my religious beliefs. Life doesn't end with Alzheimers and the like. In fact, our new canine addition (former guide dog trainee, hopefully passes therapy dog cert after Easter) will have one such case very soon. And already has served in that area.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Young buck say to old buck: N-channel mostly less bucks for same bang :-)

I don't have much in examples anymore because the notes about p-channel candidates where used to kindle the wood stove. But it happened time and again when I thought about push-pull drivers and two n-channels plus bootstrap was the better deal (financially).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

1.5V:

I only believe in myself, so I have no such problem :-) ...Jim Thompson

That was true in the past. Now-a-days I see no rationale for a price difference except for "what the market will bear" :-) ...Jim Thompson

There really is a penalty. Yeah, initially the difference may seem tiny or zilch but if you want a P-channel with the same performance as the N-channel and not just 70%, very different thing.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

1.5V:

Then you'll have a (huge) problem after you die ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

1.5V:

I promise to not be "greasy" :-) ...Jim Thompson