Favorite Catch Diode (Switching Pwr Sply)

It has been a very long time since I needed anything other than good old 12 volts from a battery for design. As a matter of fact, the last time I needed higher voltage I got it with a WWII surplus dynamotor for the plate supply of a 6146 on 6 meters ... that gives you an idea of the time frame we are talking about.

However, I've recently been looking at a high power FET design and it would help if I could get 20 to 30 volts for the supply. The chips to do the switching are relatively easy to compare as are the inductors. I'm wondering if anybody has a favorite series of catch diodes that they like to use -- we're talking an amp or two.

Preferably something that is garden variety available on the US side of the pond.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

RST Engineering (jw) wrote: [...]

[...]

Thru-hole: 1n5819 / 1n5822 (40v, 1A / 3A schottkys) are old workhorses. SMD: MBR340 (OnSemi 3A, 40V) & SK34 (generic, e.g. Diodes Inc.), both schottkys, aren't bad.

James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Hello Jim,

Check out the ON Semi MUR and MURS series. My favorites when it comes to really fast diodes for power apps.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

The MUR1660 is nice. You get two 8 amp fastish diodes in a TO220 package.

The new SiC diodes are interesting but at less than about 40V they aren't really needed.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith