Fast power LED driving

I've done considerable research into Xe flash lamps and concluded that for very high rep rates such as 10kHz and above, and very short pulse durations such as less than 1us and all the way down to sub 100ns, that they just aren't the answer.

Furthermore, there is jitter which would force us to use long camera gate times which would negate some of the advantages of operating at very high speeds, such as gating out background signal sources, and stop motion of very high velocity phenomina.

Additionally, lamps spew in all directions, which is also a problem with LEDs. But LEDs are closely related to laser diodes, so many of the drive electronics and experiments we set up with LEDs are quickly adaptable to laser diodes.

Finally, lamps are wide spectrum, so once you filter out a 20nm part of the spectrum comparable to a colored LED, you get not so much radiance anymore, and the LED looks pretty good. If light in the deep UV or near IR is needed however, lamps sometimes are a good choice.

I have a great deal of fondness for lamps, as I am at heart an "arcs and sparks" guy. But the LEDs are a great light source for some of my purposes, and superior to flash lamps in all of the cases which are driving my interest in LEDs.

Ultimately if we decide we want to spend more money on high rep-rate, short pulse sources, I will head back in the direction of lasers, though diode lasers, for cases where collimation/small apparent source size is needed.

The key thing I have to figure out with diode lasers is to accomplish de-coherence without loosing a large % of the photons.

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC

Finally. The one intelligent thing you've ever said.

Reply to
MrTallyman

--
Come into my parlor, said the spider to the fly.
Reply to

And you snipped it so that it wasn't.

Have you used the Zetex avalanche transistors?

John

So you don't get fringes? You can inject a strong modulating current at UHF frequencies (>~400MHz). I.e., essentially turn the laser on and off very rapidly.

(Phil Hobbs book was worth buying for one paragraph...)

If your pulse can be made short enough, it ought to be incoherent anyway since it would amount to a single cycle of such modulation?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

That's too fast. I'm not trying to reach the lower limits of laser diode or LED pulse widths. Just get a controllable pulse duration less than 100ns, preferably in the 10-100ns range. This problem is basically solved at this point, as my research and input received here has led to several different options for driving light emitters, including some inexpensive commercial modules already on order.

However, a modulation technique might still be useful for a laser diode for making it less coherent.

AFIAK, the way this works is that the current modulation basically modulates the wavelength, so that on long time scales (times longer than the modulation period) there is effectively random phase, thus incoherence. Right?

I'm trying to find a time to discuss this subject, and whether it can be accomplished in other ways such as MM fibers, with one of the very bright light bulbs at my work...

Unfortunately, every time I look up the subject of "laser despeckle" I get nothing but a list of patents.

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC
crobcBOGUS@REMOVETHISsbcglobal.net
SuSE 10.3 Linux 2.6.22.17
Reply to
Mr.CRC

Not sure, but I don't think so. I think it's more like the oscillations in different parts of the chip dont have time to build up and synchronise before they are quenched.

Perhaps Phil will chip in at some point to tell us.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

The laser oscillation builds up from noise on each cycle of the modulation, so there is no phase correlation between pulses. That makes the laser essentially completely immune to mode hops and self-locking due to back reflections. It also spreads it out to ~ 1 THz wide.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Is this in your book?

Perhaps I'm becoming convinced that I should buy it.

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC
crobcBOGUS@REMOVETHISsbcglobal.net
SuSE 10.3 Linux 2.6.22.17
Reply to
Mr.CRC

Yup, it's in there.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Buy it. Now.

John

accomplish

at

off

anyway

less

basically

diode

than

be

=20

And i would hazard the guess that pumping it with a narrower source (or two) isn't nearly as easy as it sounds.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk