fake PC supplies

So do I. But I didn't hijack it, any more than you did.

The proposition may have a religious origin, but I don't see any religious arguments about it here. And surely discussion about human values (with respect to dealings in fake electronic goods) is not off-limits? I know that in my religious days my engineering career was definitely restricted by misinterpretation of this injunction.

Fair point - but the KJV is wrong now, as you and I pointed out. I could have dragged out the Greek too, but I'm not that bloody- minded. The Latin Vulgate doesn't even mention money - it's better translated as "covetousness is...", which is also closer to the Greek filarguria, avarice.

the root/a root becomes immaterial when you include "kinds of". Either way it's clear that *not* all evil is said to stem from it, contrary to the way this idea has entered popular culture, and that was what I aimed to correct.

Interesting point, I hadn't realised that KJV might have once been correct here.

Please... :-)

Reply to
Clifford Heath

...and you don't need a low probability of failure in the first year.

Reply to
Guy Macon

In my specific area of interest ppl are now expecting 3 yr warranties. Some suppliers are offering 5 yrs.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Yes, precisely because of the failure rate in that time.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Some

Keep in mind that, in many cases, the power supplies are already 'reliable enough' (at least in terms of the number of people who actually claim warranty service -- may or may not correlate with true reliability!) that simply changing an extra $5 or so for another couple of years warranty may be all that's needed to profit. No design changes needed whatsoever!

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

We don't expect some of those offering 5 yr warranties to be around 5 yrs later to honour them !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear
[...]

Actually, I was thinking of asking RL if he has access to the ATX schematics for reference.

Do you know if they are available anywhere? I have Pavel Ruzicka's one at

but it would be nice to have ones for the power supplies I am actually using:)

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

60950.

is

equipment

You'll have to ask John Woodgate when he returns. He knows all about that stuff I think.

In the meantime, was there anything specific I could help you with regarding a safety issue ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

On 24 May 2005 15:05:56 GMT, Ian Stirling put finger to keyboard and composed:

Mould?

- Franc Zabkar

--
Please remove one \'s\' from my address when replying by email.
Reply to

Kept in warm dry conditions throughout.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The price of standards is something that really upsets me. If I understand correctly, especially in the EU products are legally required to comply with standards that are not available to the public except in return for payment. As far as I can tell the money goes to what is effectively a private organisation or company, or something that is run like one, which owns the IP. Many standards which are effectively given the force of law are copyright by an organisation other than the government - unless I have missed something. Imagine if the law on automobile registration or burglary or employment rights were privately owned - I suppose they only get away with keeping standards as private property because they are of little interest to the general population.

I don't mind someone coming up with a clever standard and selling it to people or refusing to sell it to them, what I object to is non-free standards being given the force of law, so that in effect the price of the standard is like a licence to produce electrical goods, and that 'licence' money disappears into a fairly non-transparent organisation.

My proposal would be for the EU to buy out the rights to the standards so that it owns them, and then give them out freely for downloading. If the EU wants to pay private companies to develop standards for it that would be fine by me as long as the work was awarded on a competitive basis - but I would like the governments to actually own their laws and standards to the extent that they would be allowed to distribute the documents freely. What would happen if the copyright owner actually refused to sell further copies of the standard to the government?

Does anyone know of a legal way to access cenorm and cenelec type standards without paying? As I understand it, a product which is CE marked in any one European country may be sold throughout the EU, so it would only be necessary for one EU country's national standards body to place their version of the legally required standards into the public domain.

Chris Jones

Reply to
Chris Jones

In Klingon, the quote is :

" Kak Gar yamika blop yung kee "

unless you smile when you say it , and then it means 'I have shot your dog'.....

I just love electronic discussions,

Andy

Reply to
Andy