Fail shunt regulator, 431, in ESD test?

Hi, all,

Shunt regultor, 431, is failure during testing Electrostatic discharge(ESD). The testing conditon is 10 times 8KV in contact and 10 times 15KV in air.

I think clearance is short between Vout and 431 on PCB. However, it is not enough to explain and report.

So, let me know why it is happen and what I should do not for happening again in the future.

You can see the part of circuit and PCB below.

Thanks.

Bob,

Reply to
Bob J.

Put a TVS across the output and/or across the 431, as required.
Reply to
John Fields

Look at the datasheet Absolute Maximum Ratings: Reference Input Current Range IREF -0.05 ~ +10 mA

this means you have to avoid *any* negative voltage there above a diode drop. You should clamp that with a Schottky diode on this point or else a

7V5 zener , which would also help with the positive part of the puls.
--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

Is someone actually applying the ESD test directly to a connector pin ? I'm not surprised it's failing.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Hi, John Fields,

Let me know the TVS, please.

Bob.

Reply to
Bob J.

I see you're looking for a 'band aid' fix rather than finding out why your pcb failed a test on its *enclosure* !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Thank your for your answer friendly, John Fields.

Bob.

Reply to
Bob J.

--
http://www.onsemi.com/site/products/parametrics/0,4446,824,00.html
Reply to

I'll venture he can't decrypt the acronym.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I read in sci.electronics.design that Pooh Bear wrote (in ) about 'Fail shunt regulator, 431, in ESD test?', on Mon, 29 Aug 2005:

Wot's an acronym? I no wot decrypt is; my grandmother's decrypt. She can't walk.

John Woodgate

Ye Gods, how much help do you need? RTFPs

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given