Extend length of DC motor wires?

An 18 V cordless drill motor. Can the wire be extended to about 3 feet from the battery to the controller and from the controller back to the motor without degrading motor performance? Would larger (or smaller) diameter wire make any positive difference?

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

I don't think your name is really John Doe.

John

regular

news.astraweb.com!border6.newsrouter.astraweb.com!news.glorb.com!news2.glorb.com!border3.nntp.dca.giganews.com!Xl.tags.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!local2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.supernews.com!news.supernews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail

sv3-ThsL3y6JQGlYN/HRCnKsXAyJQ2Cwc2fEGgmHs8BqLrYQc3KQuzjmM3Lgr7NvAAYOo0IgMR8VTR2oRXk!ZKoQlDBTuS94NzFSOKmJaUMUyEwTENNHzO0vc7z/PUfY/x1kRyZ319iGj7Aue/rsi3kh9VKaKAKK!wrY9/w==

properly

Reply to
John Doe

It will almost certainly work. Bigger wire is better -- the more resistance in the wire, the more power you burn up in wire instead of putting to good use in the motor.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Maybe in the groups that you hang out in. The ones that I frequent tend to real names, and the only people who really behave badly are the ones that hide behind nyms. Somehow I doubt that the spammers are using real names -- more like real-sounding nyms, most likely.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

An 18 V cordless drill motor. Can the wire be extended to about 3 feet from the battery to the controller and from the controller back to the motor without degrading motor performance? Would larger (or smaller) diameter wire make any positive difference?

Thanks.

Three feet will be OK. Use at least the gauge wire that the drill uses.

Tom (real name since 1949.)

Reply to
Tom Biasi

--- It'll always degrade performance because the extra resistance of the wires will dissipate some of the energy which the drill motor would convert to torque into heat.

The question is; how much would the performance be degraded?

My guess would be that it wouldn't be noticeable.

---

--- Since larger diameter wire has lower resistance than smaller diameter wire, larger wire would degrade the performance less.

---

--- Yer welcome. :-)

--- JF

Reply to
John Fields

Like "John Doe" ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

In fact, most if not all.

...are no different than the ones everyone else frequents. UseNet is a worldwide public forum, unless you are talking about moderated groups.

Some groups might have more users who advertise their business, and there is probably a corresponding increase in chest-thumpers who use "a real name" as a troll. Like you, they post often times just to advertise their business. They are proclaiming "I use my real name... and by the way, check out my real business!"

If someone is nym-shifting, in fact you have no way of knowing whether they are using a real name for their good persona. Sometimes some of them get caught, though.

Obvious spammers, Yes. I'm talking about a regular who beats his chest about using a real name. Somebody who beats his chest about using his real name is almost always trying to advertise his own business.

--

> --
> http://www.wescottdesign.com

regular
> From: Tim Wescott
> Subject: Re: Extend length of DC motor wires?
> Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,free.UseNet
> Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 13:42:51 -0600

Reply to
John Doe

news.astraweb.com!border6.newsrouter.astraweb.com!news.glorb.com!news2.glorb.com!news.glorb.com!border3.nntp.dca.giganews.com!Xl.tags.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!local2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail

sv3-6HNHWoOh7YigJ9QykkAkCuyRxBzkuc26od6JdJwfwJxzXuWSVH2B3ISr7OP2iNXd7Up6F4dJuWAHgpx!Er//dDxZmIH/Q5By0bua6hKvAoUxV9N1rneVJGEIEDsxL//u6kmIUpn9NE7p24h4CrSMpU8=

properly

Reply to
John Doe

It's called a "nym," and they're typically used by people who want to hide their identity for whatever reason, usually to troll.

But John Fields is right - it won't hurt much, and anyway, isn't the speed control in the drill body itself, while the battery could stand alone?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, nobody's holding you at gunpoint or twisting your arm forcing you to post here, or even read the posts.

Do _you_ have a real name? How old are you?

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

regular

news.astraweb.com!border6.newsrouter.astraweb.com!news.glorb.com!news2.glorb.com!feeder.erje.net!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail

posting-host="N1UKalwBQj1T+VLI2nvw0w"; logging-data="28799"; mail-complaints-to="abuse eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX19YEAa0HujFYRhw0f92KJqgUmHIcEQxfng="

Reply to
John Doe

regular

news.astraweb.com!border6.newsrouter.astraweb.com!news.glorb.com!news2.glorb.com!news.mixmin.net!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail

posting-host="N1UKalwBQj1T+VLI2nvw0w"; logging-data="28799"; mail-complaints-to="abuse eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1/2urhnEjQ9dMcLcHOYzBjSjBSQKVegONk="

Reply to
John Doe

--
You've already gotten the answer to your technical query, so why are
you still hanging around?

Yup, thanks to the replies.

Are you talking to me?

--

> ---
> JF
Reply to
John Doe

Are you sure Tom? Is your real name Thomas perhaps? :-0

Reply to
Dennis #1

Are you sure Tom? Is your real name Thomas perhaps? :-0 I checked my birth certificate, you got me. I also use a nic :-(

Reply to
Tom Biasi