Exploding op-amp

The L165 to be more precise! I had it connected to a motor with pot feedback for position control. It's power op-amp rated at 3A and this was a small motor. My power supply only gives off max 1.5A. Something went wrong and the motor started racing off and then 'bang'! The corner of the op-amp (which looks like a power transistor) flew off and disappeared. It would have had my eye out if I had been unlucky. They should have a health warning on them!

Wang King

Reply to
gyansorova

Hope you didn't forget that humungous series capacitor and resistor on the opamp output pin. (totally unstable otherwise!)

Reply to
john

Hope you didn't forget that humungous series capacitor and resistor on the opamp output pin. (totally unstable otherwise!)

Reply to
john

Yes they have. Try to remember the early advise "Use your brain!"

Stanislaw

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto

Sniff :( Those were the good ol days of blowing stuff up.. I got too good at electronics.. Nothing blows up anymore..I don't even get electrocuted anymore.. :( That jolt was usually better than a cup of coffee!

Ok...Everybody turn away!..I'm going to plug it in... Wizzz poof bang! Oooo ahhhhh :)

And then getting electrocuted trying to turn the power off.. zzzz....urk :P zzzzzz urk :P

Just invigorating :) D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

I remember the days of switching the whole thing on, then finally plugging in the power cord whilst sat underneath the workbench. The good old days.

--
Gibbo

This email address isn\'t real.
Reply to
Gibbo

Yes -I had solved the oscillation problems a few days ago. This is a phase lag compensator on the output and you need decoupling as well of course.

Reply to
gyansorova

You obviously haven't had to do any important functional demonstrations of your breadboards lately (~more than three observers..... I dare you).

RL

Reply to
legg

Murphy's law: The more observers..the more likely it'll blow up? :)

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC