excellent political rant

t as dumb as Jamie or krw but you aren't all that much brighter. James Art hur supports his silly ideas with rather more ingenuity, and better grasp o f what critical thinking might look like, though his ideological blinkers d o prevent him from understanding most of what his evidence actually means.

33-357273951.html

Not everyone wants you to know how smart they are.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Did the instruction dumb down, or has it always been that way? I know a few folks who on paper were EEs, but would probably stuggle to test a 9 volt battery with a voltmeter.

The career engineers seems real sharp in their fields, but they also work as engineers and didn't move into other work where the engineering degree only comes up on a resume.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Seems dumbed down to me. Electromagnetics, signals+systems, thermo, control theory, basic stuff are electives. Too many take CE and CS and learn to code or something. Plus, too many kids without aptitude are taking engineering, for some reason.

I don't know if engineering students have to take more mushy courses (sociology sort of stuff) than in the past.

A battery and two resistors will confuse most EE grads these days. A transistor will terrify them.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I did things the other way around. I worked for the same employer (like you, many different jobs) until I was 54, and have moved around a bit over the last decade. Slowman hasn't a clue. There is a huge market for engineers today. Age doesn't matter much, in fact gray hair very often works in one's favor. They don't graduate many hardware design engineers these days and there aren't many experienced engineers around.

Reply to
krw

It doesn't take much intelligence to decode "but I am not giving you the evidence" as "but the evidence isn't all that convincing".

You seem to be dumb enough to think that this isn't obvious.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

tive.

Krw is convinced by his "facts" to the point that he calls anybody who disa grees with him a liar. Like him, you are enthusiastic about asserting your opinions as if they were facts, and less than receptive to the idea that wh at you believe to be true facts might not stand up to close inspection.

Somebody who was as smart as you seem to think you are might be expected to appreciate this.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

n't as dumb as Jamie or krw but you aren't all that much brighter. James A rthur supports his silly ideas with rather more ingenuity, and better grasp of what critical thinking might look like, though his ideological blinkers do prevent him from understanding most of what his evidence actually means .

4433-357273951.html

Sadly, an IQ score of 187 isn't a meaningful measure of intelligence. IQ te sts measure something that more or less correlates with intelligence - it c orrelates rather better with exam-passing skills, which aren't quite the sa me thing.

Once you can score better than about 130 on an IQ test, what you score does n't mean anything more than that you can ace an IQ test - above that kind o f score, the result has even less to do with intelligence than the scores i n the range below 130.

The fact that Gary Lee Macy was a member of Mensa says it all - Mensa is a society for people who score well on IQ tests, but don't otherwise show muc h sign of intelligence. Gary Lee Macy was clearly overweight, and died at 5

  1. Cancer can kill you at any age, but being overweight in your mid-fifties puts you in a high risk group for a variety of disorders, which isn't an i ntelligent choice.

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson scored well enough on IQ tests to be eligible for Mensa, but had enough sense to back out when exposed to the o ther dorks who could score that well, but didn't have enough sense to reali se that joining Mensa marks you as a dork.

In England, Clive Sinclair was the president of Mensa for years - and while Clive is clearly a very clever man, his cleverness hasn't stopped him from making some remarkably stupid mistakes.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

s that you haven't got the evidence to support, and should be aware that yo u haven't got the evidence to support, which rather undermines your claim t o be smarter than me.

ving you the evidence. Too bad you are not intelligent enough to know the difference.

ould be lots of job changes with little time lost to unemployment.

- quite often. I've had jobs with twelve different employers. Before I turn ed fifty, I didn't lose any time between jobs. Ageism is a problem in the U K, and I spent a couple of weeks under-employed between jobs 7, 8 and 9. It 's a worse problem in the Netherlands and I spent about six months under-em ployed at 58 between jobs eleven and twelve.

does go faster. Most people do.

re before I was 40. At forty I decided it would be good to stick around to get a pension. How ever I did change jobs a number of times within the sa me company from age 40 to age 63 when I retired ( except I did work for a couple of times after I was 63 because the company needed some help.).

It's krw who hasn't got a clue - as usual. He moved around in the US, where there isn't much ageism, after having worked for IBM (which marks you as a high quality employee for even the dumbest human factors department).

I was stuck in the Netherlands, where ageism is epidemic, with a CV that di dn't mean anything to the people who looked at it.

In the US. In the Netherlands it pays to dye your hair.

The Sydney job ads I read on the local web-sites tell much the same story. There's a steady stream of ads looking for experience and hardware skills. I'm still applying for the ones that put a lot of emphasis on hardware skil ls, but I'm not getting any kind of response, which isn't all that surpris ing, grating that I haven't worked for more than a decade.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The fact that you decode it as the evedence is not all that convincing just proves you do not have much intelligence.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

:

failed critical thinking 101, again. If you want to claim that all other p oliticians are deemed more trustworthy - a new claim - you have to come up with the evidence that supports this new, stronger, claim.

That isn't the point. You've come up with a new claim without citing any ev idence to support it. The fact that "political trustworthiness" isn't a wel l-defined or useful concept is a secondary point, but one that's relevant t o your claim to be able to do critical thinking, which does seem to be anot her one of your flattering delusions.

sive club.

making it clear - once again - that you are a buffoon.

More likely a deluded buffoon. "Intelligent" - in particular - does seem to be stretching it, unless you are comparing yourself with other right-wing nitwits.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

tests measure something that more or less correlates with intelligence - it correlates rather better with exam-passing skills, which aren't quite the same thing.

Two things you seem to have missed. 1. Gary kept his IQ score secret. 2. H e founded a successful software company.

esn't mean anything more than that you can ace an IQ test - above that kind of score, the result has even less to do with intelligence than the scores in the range below 130.

Saying that having an IQ of 130 is just as good as an IQ of 180 suggests th at someone has an IQ of about 130 and wants to feel it is as good as if it were 180.

a society for people who score well on IQ tests, but don't otherwise show m uch sign of intelligence.

Not really. It does not take a very high IQ to be a member of Mensa.

e >upper two percent of the general population on an approved intelligence test >that has been properly administered and supervised.

Gary Lee Macy was clearly overweight, and died at 54. Cancer can kill you at any age, but being overweight in your mid-fifties puts you in a high ris k group for a variety of disorders, which isn't an intelligent choice.

Gary was always over weight. He should have done something about it, but l ike half of the adults in the U.S. he did not.

Dan

be eligible for Mensa, but had enough sense to back out when exposed to the other dorks who could score that well, but didn't have enough sense to rea lise that joining Mensa marks you as a dork.

le Clive is clearly a very clever man, his cleverness hasn't stopped him fr om making some remarkably stupid mistakes.

Reply to
dcaster

Since you haven't presented any of the hypothetical evidence, nobody with any sense is going to take it - or you - seriously, and pontificating about how wonderful it might be if you were to condescend to reveal it isn't going to change that.

Put up or shut up.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

But I am not a right wing nitwit. Choosing between Hillary, Trump, Cruz and Sanders, I pick Sanders every time. You just have a problem with perception.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

any sense is going to take it - or you - seriously, and pontificating abou t how wonderful it might be if you were to condescend to reveal it isn't go ing to change that.

Well how about making it worthwhile to present evidence? I really do not c are how anyone takes me, but if you were to say put up $10,000 U.S. dollars to be paid only if I am richer than you and went to a better university th an you . Well I would consider providing evidence.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Q tests measure something that more or less correlates with intelligence - it correlates rather better with exam-passing skills, which aren't quite th e same thing.

He founded a successful software company.

But he joined Mensa, which isn't exactly keeping your IQ score secret. Foun ding a successful sofware company is evidence of a different kind of expert ise, one that doesn't correlate all that strongly with IQ test results.

doesn't mean anything more than that you can ace an IQ test - above that ki nd of score, the result has even less to do with intelligence than the scor es in the range below 130.

that someone has an IQ of about 130 and wants to feel it is as good as if i t were 180.

That presupposes that having a high score on an IQ test is something signif icant enough to feel good about. I score high on IQ tests, and so does my w ife, but we do well on different items. As a psychologist she's got pretty exact idea of how much the test scores are worth (which isn't much).

The great virtue of the IQ test is that it's cheap, and gives an ostensibly objective way of grading people. You need "culture free" IQ tests to do th at across whole communities, and the results still don't correlate all that well with outcomes. Herrnstein and Murray's "The Bell Curve" made a lot of fuss about it being the best available predictor of future performance, bu t "Inequality by Design"

showed that Herrnstein and Murray had made a hash of their statistics.

s a society for people who score well on IQ tests, but don't otherwise show much sign of intelligence.

the >upper two percent of the general population on an approved intelligenc e test >that has been properly administered and supervised.

u at any age, but being overweight in your mid-fifties puts you in a high r isk group for a variety of disorders, which isn't an intelligent choice.

like half of the adults in the U.S. he did not.

Half the adults in the USA have below-average intelligence. Losing weight i s difficult, and there are enough fat doctors around to make it obvious tha t understanding precisely why you should lose weight isn't enough to motiva te you to do the sensible thing. But being fat is a stupid choice, in so fa r as it is a choice.

o be eligible for Mensa, but had enough sense to back out when exposed to t he other dorks who could score that well, but didn't have enough sense to r ealise that joining Mensa marks you as a dork.

hile Clive is clearly a very clever man, his cleverness hasn't stopped him from making some remarkably stupid mistakes.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
bill.sloman

th any sense is going to take it - or you - seriously, and pontificating ab out how wonderful it might be if you were to condescend to reveal it isn't going to change that.

care how anyone takes me, but if you were to say put up $10,000 U.S. dolla rs to be paid only if I am richer than you and went to a better university than you . Well I would consider providing evidence.

Generous of you. $10 is about what it might be worth. It costs more than th at to send money from Australia to the US - when I was treasurer of the loc al branch of the IEEE, one of the locals didn't pay a visitors expenses on the spot in Australian cash, and I had to send the money to the guy in the US, which made two banks perceptibly richer.

In theory, you could prove that you were richer than I was, if I were willi ng to reveal the details of my bank accounts and share portfolio (which I'm not) but proving that your university was "better" than mine from 1960 to

1970 strikes me as an undecidable question. You might be able to find some quasi-objective ranking scheme - numbers of papers published weighed by the quality of the journal they were published in - but since US academics are remarkably unwilling to read anything that isn't published in English in a US journal, it won't be all that objective. It shouldn't actually be that difficult for you to identify the university you went to - Jim Thompson cla ims MIT and John Larkin admits to Tulane - and your unwillingness to go eve n that far does damage your credibility.
--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

unding a successful sofware company is evidence of a different kind of expe rtise, one that doesn't correlate all that strongly with IQ test results.

But joining Mensa only says your IQ is over something like 140. Does not s ay very much as one in fifty can quality for joining Mensa. And Gary did n ot broadcast that he joined Mensa. I did not know he had joined.

s that someone has an IQ of about 130 and wants to feel it is as good as if it were 180.

ificant enough to feel good about. I score high on IQ tests, and so does my wife, but we do well on different items. As a psychologist she's got prett y exact idea of how much the test scores are worth (which isn't much).

Well I think a high score does mean something. The people that I have knov with an IQ over 150 are definitely smarter than those with a IQ of 130.

is a society for people who score well on IQ tests, but don't otherwise sh ow much sign of intelligence.

n the >upper two percent of the general population on an approved intellige nce test >that has been properly administered and supervised.

you at any age, but being overweight in your mid-fifties puts you in a high risk group for a variety of disorders, which isn't an intelligent choice.

ut like half of the adults in the U.S. he did not.

is difficult, and there are enough fat doctors around to make it obvious t hat understanding precisely why you should lose weight isn't enough to moti vate you to do the sensible thing. But being fat is a stupid choice, in so far as it is a choice.

Talking of stupid choices , staying in the Netherlands when you can not fin d a job is also a stupid choice.

to be eligible for Mensa, but had enough sense to back out when exposed to the other dorks who could score that well, but didn't have enough sense to realise that joining Mensa marks you as a dork.

while Clive is clearly a very clever man, his cleverness hasn't stopped hi m from making some remarkably stupid mistakes.

Reply to
dcaster

ot care how anyone takes me, but if you were to say put up $10,000 U.S. dol lars to be paid only if I am richer than you and went to a better universit y than you . Well I would consider providing evidence.

Well it looks like there will be no "Put up " so you will just have to cont end with my not shutting up.

[...]

I am sure that the University I went to was considered better than yours th rough out the twentieth century and is still considered better today.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Founding a successful sofware company is evidence of a different kind of ex pertise, one that doesn't correlate all that strongly with IQ test results.

say very much as one in fifty can quality for joining Mensa. And Gary did not broadcast that he joined Mensa. I did not know he had joined.

sts that someone has an IQ of about 130 and wants to feel it is as good as if it were 180.

gnificant enough to feel good about. I score high on IQ tests, and so does my wife, but we do well on different items. As a psychologist she's got pre tty exact idea of how much the test scores are worth (which isn't much).

ow with an IQ over 150 are definitely smarter than those with a IQ of 130.

By why should anybody take your judgement seriously? You think you are smar ter than I am.

sa is a society for people who score well on IQ tests, but don't otherwise show much sign of intelligence.

hin the >upper two percent of the general population on an approved intelli gence test >that has been properly administered and supervised.

l you at any age, but being overweight in your mid-fifties puts you in a hi gh risk group for a variety of disorders, which isn't an intelligent choice .

but like half of the adults in the U.S. he did not.

ht is difficult, and there are enough fat doctors around to make it obvious that understanding precisely why you should lose weight isn't enough to mo tivate you to do the sensible thing. But being fat is a stupid choice, in s o far as it is a choice.

ind a job is also a stupid choice.

My wife had a wonderful job in the Netherlands - which is why we had moved there - and the Dutch play "trim hockey", which is field hockey with mixed teams which allowed me to keep on playing field hockey until I turned 69 an d we moved back to Australia. Work isn't everything.

[...]

But not sure enough to tell us which one it was. Perhaps you can't remember .

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to