CNC 1040 anyone?

Just thought I'd see if anyone has one of these and what they think. I have some small ABS cases that I need some cutouts in and just had a quote. By the time I do it (small scale), heck I may consider the possibility of doin g it myself with one of these ebay cnc machines.

Anyone try using one for making cutouts on ABS plastic boxes? Work ok ? no t?

thanks.

Reply to
mkr5000

ve some small ABS cases that I need some cutouts in and just had a quote. B y the time I do it (small scale), heck I may consider the possibility of do ing it myself with one of these ebay cnc machines.

not?

Don't know it, can you post a link?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Den torsdag den 25. februar 2016 kl. 17.38.06 UTC+1 skrev mkr5000:

ve some small ABS cases that I need some cutouts in and just had a quote. B y the time I do it (small scale), heck I may consider the possibility of do ing it myself with one of these ebay cnc machines.

not?

plastic is easy, people are doing aluminium with machines like this:

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

ve some small ABS cases that I need some cutouts in and just had a quote. B y the time I do it (small scale), heck I may consider the possibility of do ing it myself with one of these ebay cnc machines.

not?

I think you have the name wrong. CNC 1040 does not ring a bell for me

Maybe you are talking about the CNC 3020?

I have the CNC 6040, been cutting plastic and aluminium with that one. (als o PCBs)

Just choose the correct depth and feed rate. In platic/alu I use 0.5mm pass es, 5mm drill, with feed rate of 250cm/min. You need to have high feed rate s so the plastic is cut, not melted

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
klaus.kragelund

ve some small ABS cases that I need some cutouts in and just had a quote. B y the time I do it (small scale), heck I may consider the possibility of do ing it myself with one of these ebay cnc machines.

not?

yeah Klaus -- I got the number wrong. so it does a good job? nice and smoot h? what bit would you recommend?

Reply to
mkr5000

ve some small ABS cases that I need some cutouts in and just had a quote. B y the time I do it (small scale), heck I may consider the possibility of do ing it myself with one of these ebay cnc machines.

not?

think I must have had taxes on my mind.

Reply to
mkr5000

I does a good job. I use mach 3 and Vetric vector sw to generate cnc files

I ordered bit sets from Ebay, since when you start out you will break some drill bits

Use carbide drills for best performance

I started out with alu right away. In hindsight I should have used the spend material (don't know if the wording is correct, but it is material like soft foam, do you can check the drill path on that instead of making errors on the final material )

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund