Engineering and math

Fine. This is also what I would do if I wanted a frequency response, I assure you :-)

So you have the physics of the elements (as you described, in the part you snipped :-) ) in the time domain. What are you using in the frequency domain?

Best Regards

Jens

--
    Key ID 0x09723C12, jensting@tingleff.org
        Analogue filtering / 5GHz RLAN / Mdk Linux / odds and ends

But they used rules of thumb and experience, not math. And too many times they fell down. It's a wonder that so many survived.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

The ark was built by talented and knowledgable amateurs.

The Titanic was built using the best engineering practice and calculations of the day.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

[snip]

With bulkheads with no ceilings.

And sunk by a cowboy intent on setting a speed record ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Yup. CAD has nothing on a swizzle stick dipped in soy sauce and a clean napkin.

Jim

RST Engineering (jw)

That's what I like about Macaroni Grill, table "cloth" is a sheet of white butcher paper... surprises the hell out of them when I roll it up and take it with me, sauce stains and all ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Hi Homer Jay Simpson!

The secondary modern school I have visited, is a Building from ~1789. Big broad stone-stairs, chiselled/worn out in the middle. There are older around, too.....

Today they build Container, Fully glassed , even the sport-hall, with iron-grid cheapo Stairrs. (What a ladder... ;-()

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

Reply to
Daniel Mandic

The story of the Ark was copied from Gilgamesh. There's no suggestion it was true.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Reply to
corneliuspaulos

I doubt that John will respond, each component that has a reasonable time domain description has a reasonable frequency domain description. Simply start with the frequency domain descriptions and solve the circuit. I found the math real twisty the first few times, then i got the hang of it.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

Well, there's not much more to say. My position is that I use no transform mathematics when I do a Bode plot to design or analyze closed-loop stability; often I do it all in my head and on a scrap of quadrille paper, without even using a calculator, sometimes without even the paper. Jens thinks that the existance of the Fourier transform somehow makes it possible for me to do this.

Matter of opinion.

John

I use (if I'm feeling guilty) a spreadsheet to generate simple tables so I can confirm my designs for linear systems, usually power supply loops.

Regardless of the common wisdom, I make sure they don't phase reverse across the _entire_ gain range (rather than merely at unity gain) and I haven't used anything more esoteric than a gloroified simple calculator (toughest computation -> reciprocal).

I'll note I've done a lot of those designs and they have all worked flawlessly. There are times for full analysis using transforms, but I haven't needed it for linear feedback loops.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

IIRC, Excel includes a version of TK!Solver so it should be fine for this.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson