Eliminating turn off losses in IGBTs

Here you go.....

Not finished yet, but it's a start.

You will say 'Gosh!'

It's an explanation of my crap patent explanation

Who's the bloke from Viet Nam who's been having problems downloading that one? There have been 476 attempts of which 318 have been from one IP.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

For now I say: this stuff seems rather trivial and a cumbersome way to do what has been done for ages in old school SMPSs. I once took apart a 5kW UPS. It had MOSFET push-pull stages on the bases of the output transistors (100A / 1000V).

Like you already stated, an IGBT is a combined device with its advantages, but it is not fast by design.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Thanks for the critique. I'm probably not up to it.

You might not be wrong but blah blah.

I've just updated stuff with an example, 2kW boost converter off 100V at

100KHz

The IGBT became fast by design.

I suppose you have to think it works and then do the sums, and worry about other stuff, to see if it is worth it. You, don't, give an example of a 5kW UPS supply.... Who knows?

I accept the 'trivial' comment because, looking at it, it is. Silly thing is that if it was so trivial you have to wonder why it's not being done. Either I'm some sort of idiot or someone else is slapping their heads.....

Go on, shoot me down.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Don't worry about it, Genome. As they say, those that can, do; those that can't spout platitudes like, "rather trivial".

All good designs look "rather trivial" when viewed by ignorami... Bloggs comes to mind... everything I do is "rather trivial" in his eyes ;-)

...Jim Thompson

You could almost generalize it. Everything we all do is often considered trivial and offers of consulting help are initially turned down. Until the day of reckoning cometh (a.k.a. production ramp-up) where it plain don't work and it's almost too late...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Nooooooo.

It's not that I don't do it myself and it's not as if I don't do it to others so why not do it to me? I don't know if this one has been spotted and it's not as if I have a half arsed chance of becoming a millionaire over it.

If someone shoved it up me bum I'd be a skeptic too. Still am. The concept might be trivial but the details are harder....... as if.

There is probably an IEEE paper that deals with this stuff anyway.

However

FUCK THAT IT'S PRETTY CUTE.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

I think it's a great idea. Normally, nobody would think of zapping a device the way you did to get it to do what you want. I love things that "break the rules". There may be an IEEE paper that references something like it, but they often screw it up and you can easily improve on their method.

I think it's original, creative, and very elegant. I love to see that kind of thinking. Congratulations, and thanks for posting it.

Regards,

Mike Monett

Antiviral, Antibacterial Silver Solution:

SPICE Analysis of Crystal Oscillators:
Noise-Rejecting Wideband Sampler:

Mike Monett

The real-life example looks pretty clever indeed. Altough it still makes me wonder how an NPN transistor driven by a push-pull stage would perform.

Perhaps the people that use IGBTs don't look any further.