Electronics Design on Humongous Monitors

I considered the "pole" for three monitors but it (ViewSonic's version) costs as much as a monitor.

...Jim Thompson

When I did some contract work for Lockheed-Martin, they had racks with the flat-screen monitors attached to a flexible arm at each workstation in the production test area. Very cool looking.

Reply to
maxfoo

The Redhat computer I use at work sometimes has this feature. It works well.

rxvt terminal,

player +

nothing right now,

or click the,

control),

now).

si

Reply to
Jeff L

yea, but if you don't get the pole you might end up with something like this

bungalow_steve

I think your desk is starting to bow.... :-)

Reply to
Jeff L

A friend used John Deere logos on his chair. Much more Western ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I flew back from Frankfurt (to Dallas) one morning, in First Class, with the wife of the Chairman of the Board of John Deere as my seat partner.

She'd been to some dog show in Paris.

What a babe.

Too bad I'm not rich ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Hey, make sure N. doesn't read this...

Bosch paid you 1st class? Wow. I did fly 1st class on AA a few times but that was with a business class ticket. They gave me those upgrade vouchers because I was one of their really high mileage guys.

Considering all the project you did over the last few decades you should be able to pull the plug on the simulator PC and go golfing from here on. But I guess you and I are the kind of guys who could never really do that. The CEO of one of my clients did but after some years he went back, nose to the grind stone again. All the golfing and hanging around bored him too much.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I told her about it.

That was what happened to me... bumped from Business up to First Class. Happened to me on almost half of my trips... probably because I'm a quiet, pleasant drunk ;-)

I'd go bonkers in a few weeks.

As I've mentioned before, my father still does gigs with a hillbilly band ;-)

And he just got his ticker fixed with a stent, so he isn't tied to an oxygen bottle anymore ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Did you forget what I do with, and to computers all day long? ;-)

In fact, I'm trying to improve the setup by adding a "Triage" to presort the computer stuff as it arrives.

The computers will be one of three classes:

  1. Hopeless, needs recycled.
  2. Repairable.
  3. Needs virii and spyware removed.

The peripherals will be:

  1. Scrap.
  2. Repairable.
  3. Wipe the case down and give it away.

BTW, I'm in the Southeast, and green decals wouldn't look very good on a red metal flake power chair. I'm going to have real fun trying to match the paint when I add the custom convertible top, the flip up desk for my laptop, and for the mini two wheel trailer to carry three extra batteries, and the 12 volt cooler for pop and snacks. :)

The other project is a home made motorized ramp/ cover for the back of my pickup truck. I want to move a 5' * 6' aluminum deck plate from the top of the truck to the end of the tailgate so I can ride the chair up or down, as needed. The trailer WAS a blown power washer chassis, but it was just the right size. :)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

i recently switched one of two 17" displays for a 22" 1680x1050 widescreen. about 3 days later i took off the second head, it had become a distraction. BTW i have 4 desktops in KDE, 1 for Usenet, one for CAD/SPICE, one for search / parts, and one for utilities. One click to switch and all 4 are available at all times, in the blink of an eye.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

KDE?? D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

It's a Linux desktop; one of two such popular "heavyweight" (lots of bells and whistles), the other one being GNOME. KDE is a closer match to the Windows desktop... Linus Torvalds has also stated his preference for it.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

I'm using it right now. I find fluxbox to be a little leaner and cleaner, from a geekish POV, but KDE lets me mess with the mouse settings and its cursor. :-)

And let's face it, eye candy has its attractions. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

rxvt terminal,

+

nothing right now,

click the,

control),

now).

I run a NEC 19" LCD on the left, with my email, database and AIM on it, and a 20" HP CRT on the right for schematics, usenet, browsers, etc. When doing a lot of LINUX sims, I switch the left monitor over to that with a KVM switch. When doing simulation, I am constantly moving sim results, topologies, PCB layouts and schematics from one window to the other depending on what I need to see right now...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

I did some monitor research a year ago and concluded the best cost/quality was the Dell 24" 2405FPW widescreen. It's my main monitor for sim and schematic. On the side, I have a 17" LCD swiveled to portrait for data sheets.

Very happy with the 2405 and I'm tempted to buy another for a dual 24" setup...Arrrff Arrffff ! :)

It's replacement, the dell 2407FPW selling currently for $749CAD

After reading all the posts, . I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle for total screen area. Perfect :) D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

On a sunny day (Tue, 06 Feb 2007 21:15:24 GMT) it happened Rich Grise wrote in :

and

mm I am using fvwm (the original)and xfm. For those who do not know fvwm, here is there homepage:

I use the oldest version, from even before 1994, and only changed some colors. And I use focus follows mouse. fvwm-1.23b-core.tar.gz fvwm-1.23b-icons.tar.gz fvwm-1.23b-modules.tar.gz Also removed the 'destroy' item from the control puldown menu, as it was too easy too kill a whole application when you just wanted to close a window... I know nothing about the new versions....

The later versions add 'stuff' but it is like a screwdriver, you want the screwdriver, not the LED flashing light inside. So this old version has been ported from 2 hours to compile on a 1GHz PC, is just a big blob of 'everything there already was' rewritten by Trolltech as a commercial venture, and KDE is based on that bloat. Fluxbox is a step in the right direction, but fvwm has all I need, and has had it for 10 years. I no longer have KDE or Gnome on my system. The only thing I mis sometimes is khexedit and kworldview (but I have an old Suse-7.1 around that has these, eh, modified, with fvwm as window manager of course, khexedit will run with the KDE libs it has.

2 men have been busy installing a new lamp post in the street in front of my house. They have worked on it all day, also digging with big machines, no light yet :-) And I wonder, yes I wonder.....
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Panteltje wrote: ...

I was running some old version of fvwm until recently, when I installed v. 2.5.20 from 11 Dec 2006 on a new system. The older versions probably are easier to configure, but otherwise new is ok. Anyhow, the reason I'm posting is to ask why you use ctrl-arrows to move between virtual screens, rather than using (eg) EdgeResistance 40 1 and EdgeScroll 100 100 wrap, by which one can move the cursor from screen to screen without having to click anything. With a 3x3 wrapped screen setup, the distance from any screen to any other is 1. I also have Autoraise and Focus FollowsMouse turned on, so can get from any window to any other, focussed and raised, in one mouse motion with no clicks.

Another advantage of EdgeScroll is that one can stretch windows across multiple screens and still easily view them; for example, on a 1600x1200 monitor with 3x3 virtual screens you can have windows as large as 4800x3600 (but only 1/9 visible at once).

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby