Electronics Design on Humongous Monitors

At my age, a 19" monitor is about all the viewing angle I can tolerate, but it's no problem to sweep my head back and forth between schematic and simulation.

...Jim Thompson

I remember my early SPICE days. In DOS you could write batch files and I had a similar one that sounded off when sims were done. Of course, back in the early 90's one could start a sim, eat dinner, lean back for a nice cup of coffee and cake, chat some more, then "tada" would sound from the office downstairs. Actually the PC speaker wires were connected to an old tube radio so you could hear it upstairs.

Before I had that radio in there I let the batch finish with a few strokes on the Commodore daisy wheel printer. Heavy industrial version, loud. Put a scrap paper in there and then "rat-tat-tat" which you could hear all the way into the backyard.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Reminds me of a set idea I've been thinking about:

2 networked dual core computers with multimonitors. Computer #1: Dual core PC for multiple instances of spice simulations Computer #2: Non-secure computer linked to Internet. It runs every other application. Contains encrypted backups of computer 1.

I could try that multicomputer-single-mouse and keyboard software I've heard about. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

If you've seen Homer (The Simpsons) drool for donuts ...that's the way I look when thinking about a 4ftx6ft 1000dpi display :)

Instead of moving my mouse...I can roll my swivel chair over to the area of interest.. :) D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

I've been using dual displays for my work since 2000. The latest setup at work was using a laptop (14" @1400x1050 - replaced a 15"

1600x1200) and external LCD (20.1" @1600x1200). At home I have a laptop (14" @1400x1050) and a widescreen LCD (20.1" @1680x1050). The more pixels the better.

Dual screens is the way to go. I'd like to go with more but am unsure what video card will work with my laptop's docking station.

More power!

No, the distortion is too great and the resolution too low (for most).

Sure. I'd like to go to a 24" monitor but it was 2x the cost of my

20.1".

At least I tend to move my head for large distances, rather than eyeballs.

--
  Keith
Reply to

On a sunny day (Sat, 03 Feb 2007 09:29:16 -0700) it happened Jim Thompson wrote in :

Doe anybody use virtual displays? I have one 19 inch in Linux with 9 virtual screens. Top left file manager, middle left Firefox, lower left a PIC asm source in rxvt terminal, top middle http server log in rxvt termminal, middle middle mp3 media player + security cam pic + voice control soft, middle bottom rxvt terminal with nothing right now, right top: recording of TV program, right middle this news reader, right bottom empty rxvt terminal. I can switch between the virtual screens with ctrl cu up/down/left/right or click the, mouse on the pager.

And the same PC runs a http, ftp, and mail server, mpeg4 encoder, digital video recorder, mp3 player, postgres database, home control software (temp control), a name server, and a time shifted video playback in xine (old ateam just now). You have all been conned by Microsoft. LOL top - 20:47:47 up 7 days, 6:03, 9 users, load average: 1.69, 1.79, 1.98 Tasks: 92 total, 2 running, 90 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie Cpu(s): 5.0% us, 5.0% sy, 41.7% ni, 46.7% id, 0.0% wa, 1.0% hi, 0.7% si

More then 50 % idle. Linux

WTF should in eed an other monitor? One for each eye?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Make it touchscreen/tablet integrated, mount it on a drafting table base, and you have a product...

Ecnerwal

[snip]
[snip]

terminal,

right now,

click the,

control),

Eh? Can you read details of a C-size schematic in one of those windows?

Methinks you mostly play around, rather than doing _work_.

...Jim Thompson

On a sunny day (Sat, 03 Feb 2007 13:09:51 -0700) it happened Jim Thompson wrote in :

rxvt terminal,

nothing right now,

click the,

control),

You do not know what a 'virtual screen' is right? If you cannot read your design on a 19 inch monitor, then you have an eye problem. (And yes of course I zoom in and out in eagle for example). So a 'virtual screen' is a full display, without all the border clutter that MS windows has on my PC at least, I have 9 of these (does not Gates call it 'desktops?' on my system. And you switch between these desktops with keyboard (preferably) or by clicking with the mouse in a pager. The only 'clutter' on my system is is the nine field pager top left. Something like this, but the top got cut of, dunno why, ftp://panteltje.com/pub/rxvt.gif Imagine this to fill your whole 19 inch screen (if you have one).

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

rxvt terminal,

nothing right now,

click the,

control),

I have a similar setup; they are *virtual* "screens" (desktops). Each one takes up 100% of the screen area.

Well judging from the amount of time you spend here, so do you! :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

rxvt terminal,

nothing right now,

click the,

control),

Ah! You are SWITCHING between views. I thought you had a 3x3 matrix of windows.

I prefer the dual monitor approach so I can see the schematic AND the simulation results simultaneously... put a Probe marker on the schematic and see the result, just like you were using a scope.

I'm running two 19" ViewSonic VA-912's.

I also don't mind having the "tray" symbols showing... I'm often running multiple tools that I want to pop up for a specific function... having to remember which window it's in is a pain.

ftp://panteltje.com/pub/rxvt.gif

[snip]
[smirk]

...Jim Thompson

Could have been. But it's water under the bridge by now since the Dell's recycling center took it in. Which I found to be a very nice gesture. When I bought a computer there they called back and asked how many free recycling shipment vouchers I'd like to have. That has never happened to me before.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I played with such a setup (three 2560 x 1600 monitors in portrait next to each other = 4800x2560) but finding the mouse pointer starts to get problematic.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

[snip]

I think it's an XP function... press and release and the mouse pointer produces a large circle which shrinks down to the pointer.

...Jim Thompson

I have use a quad 20 inch monitor setup, all hanging on a single pole in front of me, like this

except the pole was bolted directly to the back of the desk

below is a common quad setup with the stock market traders

bungalow_steve

Ooooooooooo :) Now if I had a quad monitor set up.. Monitor 1: I'd display your first picture link Monitor 2: I'd display the other and be able to compare to monitor 1 Monitor 3: Type up this response Monitor 4: Return to my PCB layout

Back to monitors 1 and 2 while taking a coffee sip. :) D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

They want as many used computers removed from service, as possible. That forces people to buy new ones, and some will be Dells. BTW, I salvaged a pair of those large plastic Dell Logos from a recent case to use for hub caps on my electric power chair. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Exactly, yes. I cannot stand all thse little windows with in it even smaller windoes, Visual Studio, that I have to use for work at times does this, and Xilinx Webpack also does this. In fact all MS windows products do this in pretty much the same way I think....

My desk is full, and I mean FULL, hardly place for a cup of coffee (and coffee should not be there, as it killed one keyboard already, but it is there).

Nice.

I keep a strickt dicipline here, --------------------------------------------------------------------------- | file manager | weblog / downloads | video recorder / playback | | web browser | mixers, cameras, mp3player| docs or other stuff, Newsreader| | anything | current work (eagle?) | current docs | ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (3 Feb 2007 16:31:46 -0800) it happened "bungalow snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote in :

My goodness.

Reminds me of some virtual reality system..... Those guys have the money, they cound in millions.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje