Electronic load

Any simple way to dump 500Watts fixed @100 volts ? Or is it easier to have

5 x 100R 100Watt resistors and a big heat sink ? test time would be < 1minute...
Reply to
TTman

Have you tried a toaster, toaster oven, etc?

Reply to
John S

5 or 6 100 watt tungsten halogen bulbs?
Reply to
tm

TTman Inscribed thus:

500W Halagen bulb.
--
Best Regards:
                        Baron.

just remember it is pretty much a dead short until it heats up

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Give me your mailing address and I will send you two 10R 250W resistors. Small heat sink may be needed. Cheers, Harry

Reply to
Harry Dellamano

Heathkit used to sell a load for use with transmitters. If I recall correctly it was about ten 2 watt resistors suspended in a gallon of oil.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Thanks, but it's for a company... they can pay...

Reply to
TTman

I'd oversize it a bit and use 5 200Watt resistors. For a similar load I used this heatsink:

You may expect the load to be present for 1 minute but in reality it may need to run longer.

Otherwise look for an electronic load from Array and use two 300W units in parallel.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

Five 100 watt or larger resistors are fine for a 1 minute test. whats the duty Cycle? A Muffin fan blowing across the resistors helps a lot.

has Edison Base cone heaters, but they are

120v.

Martin Riddle

"TTman"

** Is it DC or AC and if the latter what frequency ?

Makes a big difference to what load is suitable.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

In that case, here ya go...

watch the wrap

Reply to
John S

Real Engineers use these Vishay power resistors...

Plus they are not expensive and very robust. Dont forget to order the hardware for mounting.

Martin Riddle

But they are wimpy at only 200W. Just like engineers, maybe. Get the

600W version and please Tim the Tool Man.
Reply to
John S

It was a 50 Ohm, 200 W non inductive carbide resistor, and the product was their famous 'Cantenna'. The ham magazines showed DIY versions built with whatever surplus resistors you could cobble together.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

He was canceled a decade ago, because he could no longer buy insurance.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Most toaster and toaster ovens are in the 1000W region and use a bang-bang temperature controller...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Check out the Vishay-Sfernice LPS300 range. 300W per unit up to 85C/ Rth case-heatsink 0.112C per watt.

A couple of 10 ohm ones, in series, bolted to a really big heatsink, should do 500W, 100V, fine.

Farnell should have them in the UK.

Read the datasheet, and do what it says...

--
"Design is the reverse of analysis"
                   (R.D. Middlebrook)

--