electronic components using moebius strips?

capacitance.

--
Begging off?

You've got the equipment and, allegedly, the expertise to make the
measurement, so why don't you just do it?
Reply to
John Fields

capacitance.

What do you mean by that? As I said, it's a complicated situation with lots of cases, and I said about everything that I think is right.

Do you disagree with anything technical that I've said.

Why? I'm pretty busy doing real stuff. And it wouldn't be trivial to fabricate the various/many cases of mobeus resistors. A lossy-line Spice simulation should explicate the various, at least three, cases fairly well. You could do that if you were interested. Post your results here.

Since nobody has actually made a commercial mobeus resistor, as far as I know, it doesn't seem to be a ripping idea. As I said, it seems silly to me.

If you care to fabricate any mobeus resistors, I'd be happy to TDR them for you.

John

capacitance.

Something that was covered in EE 101. Did you sleep through that course? :)

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

capacitance.

Nope, no TV antennas in EE101 (don't think we even had a 101 - started at 300, Junior year, IIRC). That was forty years ago. I haven't had a "TV antenna" since. ...unless you count a satellite dish.

Reply to
krw

bius

een?

r).

l- or

pacitance.

. A

at

Yeah I have no idea how it would look either... it's gotta be different than the piece of coax with a shorted end.

Most likely, or someone would be selling them.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

capacitance.

Larkin is a mental midget... Mobius, as an electronic element, is trivial to analyze. Larkin should stick to skiing and otherwise STFU. ...Jim Thompson

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/beg+off

See "phrasal verb".
Reply to
John Fields

--
He certainly contradicks himself, claiming that he's not into
competitive sports and then posting that he had to wax his skis in

Moebius

been?

capacitance.

You poor, depraved individual! ;-)

One of the TV antennas I worked with was fed with 195 KW of RF, through 1800' of 12" * 18" waveguide.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

capacitance.

No TV antennas in first (or any other) year that I can recall- but a lot theoretical stuff. Here's the publication list of my old prof (Balmain):

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The 300 ohm twin-lead might be a usable transmission line for VHF applications (radio/TV), The last time I have seen out door twin-lead transmission lines was in the VHF only TV.

As soon as TV transmissions on UHF frequencies started, it became quite obvious that any moisture or dirt between the conductors will produce variable and unacceptable losses.

In addition any open line will have significant radiation losses, when the distance between the lines is some significant part of the wavelength. Trying to reduce the line distances will require smaller line diameters and the skin losses will be skyrocketing :-).

While ordinary coaxial cables might have lower losses than a coaxial cable on VHF, the situation is usually reversed in the UHF band.

Reply to
upsidedown

James, not Rob. I can't ski with someone if I can't keep up with them. But skiing with people is just fun; nobody keeps score, nobody wins or loses, you just zoom around and crash and laugh a lot.

And my skis were cruddy anyhow. That seems to happen in spring skiing conditions. I don't know what the crud is, but it sure slows you down. My new K2 skis are, for some reason, about 5% faster than most other peoples' skis, at least when they are clean. They also "sing" on fast, smooth packed snow, a gentle high-pitched "zzeeeee" sort of sound. I guess that means they're happy. They are delaminating on top, too, but K2s always do that.

But, as usual, you and Jim are entering a potentially interesting technical thread and, ignoring the topic, clucking and whining about personalities. You are bitching about, well, I'm but sure what, and Thompson is, as usual, telling us that some problem is trivial to someone as smart as he is, with no proof beyond that claim. Probably he actually believes it.

Sad old hens.

John

capacitance.

Yikes! Serious stuff!

I took two semisters of electromagnetics, under Professor Seto, a visiting Japanaes professor who was so intelligent, and so hard to understand, that we didn't learn all that much. But I'm sure that he never mentioned anything as prosaic as TV antennas.

Something about gradients, divergences, and curls, and the fact that if you had anything but the most trivial boundary conditions, forget the whole thing.

Good book: The Maxwellians, by Bruce Hunt.

John

Wonder if he waxes his nose ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

Interesting coming from someone, as evidenced by his earlier posts,
who wasn't even aware of what a mobius strip _is_.

Now of course, since it's been explained to you, you'll pretend you
knew all along and attribute your faux pas to some untestable cause.
Reply to
John Fields

Evidenced?

Geez, I've been fascinated by stuff like this since I was a kid. Things like Klein bottles, Alexander Horned Spheres, conic sections, Mandelbrots, Newton's Method convergence geometries, all that stuff.

What has been explained to me? The Mobeus resistor seems to have no particular virtues as a "zero inductance" wideband resistor, for reasons I've discussed; it's a lossy transmission line at high frequencies. You and Thompson, on the other hand, have said nothing on the subject except to whine about my personality. Nothing.

Crank up LT Spice and see how various Mobeus resistors might behave. Or build some actual Mobeus resistors and I'll TDR them.

Or keep jumping into interesting technical threads and clucking like senile old hens. Your choice. I'm betting you guys will maintain hen mode.

It is interesting to consider how best to construct really wideband resistors. I don't know how serious microwave terminators and dummy loads are constructed, but I'm betting that none of them are Mobeus resistors. I did disassemble an HP 18 GHz terminator, a big one with an APC7 connector. The thing inside looked like a sheet of glass with a cool purple thinfilm coating, with a sort of hyperbolic shape from the APC center to the grounded shell.

John

It will be a nice surprise when it arrives.. probably a month or two and I'll have forgotten all about it.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I thought it was a "Gentlemen's Club" out by the airport..

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Yes. I believe they feature contortionists.

John

They're quite twisted.

Reply to
krw