Electronic Air Pressure Regulator

I'd like to make an air pressure regulator.

Any suggestions as to where I can find and order 1 cheapo air pressure transducer in some sort of pipe fitting and one cheapo electronic air value.

Specs:

10psi to 100psi, average 30psi Accuracy: 20% Any common pipe fitting. Any cheap response speed. D from BC
Reply to
D from BC

You can get air stuff at the aquarium store - can't you do a google search for "pressure transducer"? Have you checked Mouser? Digikey? McMaster-Carr? Grainger?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Doh! :O Lots of pressure sensors at Digikey for around $20.00CAD!! I don't know why I thought Digikey wouldn't have this.....

Now I just have to find an electronic air value to vary the air pressure.

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

why? do you have a use for poorly regulated compressed air?

A junk yard that deals with surplus industrial machinery.

why not use an off-the-shelf pressure regulator?

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen

Herbach and Rademan would be a likely source; I'd check Marlin P Jones and All Electronics, as well.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

This is an idea for a homebrew air compressor.

I'm thinking of using a refrigerator pump to pressurize a one cubic foot tank. It might get up to 100psi after some long running time. The air is being used for a spray gun which needs about 10psi. I thought if I made an electronic air regulator.. I can get 10psi off the 100psi. I could can get a pressure transducer in a feedback loop with a electronic valve to regulate the pressure.. If that'll work..

Unfortunately no surplus industrial machinery places around here.. I'd have so much fun in a place like that :)

I'm googling for off the shelf electronic valves.. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

electronic ones would be almost impossible, probably perform poorly.

mechanically ones are quite simple, mostly reliable and work fairly well, all they need is a needle valve, a diaphragm, a spring and a control screw, and ofc a housing.

the spring pushes the diaphragm against the needle valve wich cuases it to open and allow air in wich pushes the diaphragm back until it reaches equilibrium.

they work quiote well when there is actual air flow, when the flow stops there is no way to remove excess pressure, from leakage of the needle valve.

how many projects do you actually have on the go ?

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

I didn't know the mechanical air regulators might outperform electronic air regulators. I think I'll drop making an electro-air regulator..

I think I have 5 projects on the go.

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Why not go here and request a sample:

I'm sure you could invent some story to convince them that you'll be using hundreds (if not thousands) a year!!!

--
John B
Reply to

Well, it's understandable - it doesn't "sound like" electronic stuff. ;-)

I checked McMaster-Carr, but realized you're not looking for just a switch, right?

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 06:53:15 +0000, D from BC wrote: ...

You can get the whole banana for $25.00 US. :-)

All you need to do is find a local supplier.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Or, ask while you're at the aquarium store. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Cool thanks.. :) Now I have a good idea of what to look for.. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

I'm surprised an aquarium store would have industrial air regulators.. I guess maybe for making bubbles... D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

That's just wrong.. I don't mind doing that for cheap electronic components but fibbing for a $25.00 regulator I think is over the line. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Aquarium pumps max out at 3.5 psi typically. Most models also get VERY upset if you restrict their output as well.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

actually probably the easiest way to go electroncs wise would be to put a 'pressure switch' on the tank, and have it switch the compressor off at 11psi, and back on at 10psi,

such a presure switch can be found in many cars. or even washing machines, although these would be rather low pressure.

or even a releif valve from a pressure cooker.

ofc if your plan is to let it build up to make do with a compressor thats too small to keep up then this wont work so well.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

I wouldn't exactly call 10 PSI "industrial". ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I could imagine the 100psi input pressure might blow some of thsoe cheap plastic ones apart quite quickly.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Rich Grise wrote in news:pan.2007.06.23.20.48.37.917865 @example.net:

See a pnuematic tools shop. They should have the regulator and pressure switch and the works. Likely even a complete air compressor/tank/switch/regulator.

Reply to
Gary Tait