Electrical Engineering Texts?

My favorite Grekhov diode is the c-b junction of a power transistor! Probably nobody else in the world knew that when I discovered it. A qualitative understanding of semiconductors are enough to train one's instincts. I did suspect that this particular transistor was a diffused junction device, and that diffused junctions can have SRD doping profiles. But I didn't need to understand the gory details.

John

Analog Devices has some very nice voltage refs based on jfets. And Intersil does references using floating-gate CMOS devices, essentially just capacitors charged up to the desired voltage.

John

Best one on the block is the LTC6655, which is some opaque CMOS thing. Nice and quiet, whatever it is--it's even quieter than a buried zener. Not quite as stable as an LM399, but then it doesn't have a heater.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

IBM did make a 68k computer, running Xenix; it sank in the marketplace, though. I seem to remember it was the System 9000, 1985-ish time frame. It wasn't until the PS/2 machines and 'micro channel' that IBM shot themselves in the foot in the name of 'control'.

Reply to
whit3rd

No, that's business.

Reply to
krw

Microchannel wasn't about "control".

Reply to
krw

ecades

f what

Sure I agree, AoE is for after you have your EE degree.

A far far

You should read some of Phil's book. There are pieces on his website.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

JeffM wrote in news:689f6217-d283-4698-82bc- snipped-for-privacy@u24g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

Were any of you guys, per chance, other Ohio Scientific micro dealers around 1980? The OSI printed catalog from then has our shop, Seely Communications, Sumter, SC, listed under dealers in the back...(c;]

We sold a lot of Ohio Scientific 6502/Z-80/6800 computers before IBM put us out of business. We had a 14" 74MB (not GB) HARD DRIVE!....about $10K

Reply to
Fred

te:

I have the technical ref for the PC, and for the AT, with full schematics of the busses. Not so for MicroChannel.

Reply to
whit3rd

Because you were too cheap to buy the spec makes it about IBM's "control". You're too funny.

Reply to
krw

te:

.

IBM published the specs for the PC bus and other hardware, and for the AT bus and other hardware. To the best of my knowledge, they didn't do that for Micro Channel. Do you know otherwise? What's the ISBN for the publication?

MicroChannel was always completely proprietary.

Reply to
whit3rd

rote:

l".

Actually IBM did not publish the specifications as such for the PC and AT bus they only published the schematics.

For Microchannel they instead published specifications but no schematics - I can't remember what the title was but I used them to design a network adapter for Excelan (later acquired by Novell) - our MCA product never sold very well and the computers were the slowest ones at that time (Intel 386 era).

kevin

Reply to
kevin93

Wrong! They published schematics in the Tech Ref. There were *no* specs, even internally, for the PC bus.

Yes. Full specs. You get them the same way you get PCI specs.

No clue. Why would I know that? It likely never had an ISBN.

You're completely wrong. Several companies built MCA systems and options cards.

Reply to
krw

te:

ns

IBM patented parts of MicroChannel, just like (later) Rambus patented their infamous memory interface. Yes, other companies built MCA under license.

NuBus, also patented (TI held the patents) was licensed at reasonable and nondiscriminatory fees, and got an IEEE standard specification (IEEE 1156). There were NeXT and Apple and other machines that used NuBus. Peripheral cards were available from lots of vendors. MCA, not so much.

Reply to
whit3rd

Then why did you imply otherwise?

You're simply wrong. Again.

Reply to
krw

they

Somewhere along the line i have managed to downgrade Cringeley as = reliable source to about troll grade. YMMV.

Reply to
josephkk