EL wire drivers

Anybody here got experience with making modulated EL wire drivers? I am going to do some soon and learn from others who may have done this. I am looking for A) 10 segments and fewer, B) 10 to 25 segments, and C) over 100 segments. For both decorative display and as a PPE enhancement.

Reply to
JosephKK

Nada? Oh, well.

Reply to
JosephKK

It can be hard to find them, but some manufacturers have extremely detailed specifications on how various electrical attributes impact lifespan (it's short), color, and efficiency.

This one shows how voltage and frequency impact color, power consumed, intensity, and efficiency:

I haven't built an EL wire driver but you have options on how you want to drive them. Flyback, step-up transformer, and class B amps are within range of the 60V to 120V needed.

I have played with EL paper. The load resembles a series resistor and capacitor. White paper could be shifted from green to white to blue to purple by raising the frequency. Efficiency, longevity, and radiated AC power were so poor that I didn't buy more EL products to play with.

Kevin McMurtrie

Very nice. THank you.

I never expected it to be efficient, or long life. What i am after is interesting lighting effects that can be produced.

Reply to
JosephKK