Efficiency of Inaudible Piezo Tweeter?

dB = decibarks?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

That's good: it's a reciprocity measurement. All you have to do is estimate the effective area of the receiver and the pattern of the transmitter.

Yup, conservation of energy. Might get tricky if the efficiency is low.

I've seen absolute sound level calibrators that used an oscillating piston in a cylinder to make calculable sound pressures, but obviously at low frequency.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

quoted text -

As I recall, volume controls for hi-fi are log taper. That's non-linear.

Reply to
John S

Try listening to it. If you don't hear it, it's working.

Reply to
John S

So it looks like spamtrap and Les could be right.

Reply to
John S

quoted text -

It would be a great experiment to set up two ultrasonic sources of slightly different frequencies and listen to what happens. That is so appealing, I might look into it as soon as time permits.

John

Reply to
John S

dB is a relative measure - usually 10*lg(p2/p1) where p1 is measured sound pressure and, IMHO(!) p1 is sound pressure at auditory threshold.

I used to believe dbA refers to p1 being the auditory threshold pressure of the frequency of the musical note a (440 Hz, but I was more thinking about 1000 Hz), but it turns out that is nonsense. It seems to be more complex:

Inaudible ultrasonic sound obviously doesn't have an auditory threshold sound pressure, so you would have to define p1 if you want db.

Bernhard

Reply to
Bernhard Kuemel

Although Bernhard has a rational argument that because 0dB (SPL) is set to the threshold of audibility, it should be a function of frequency, by convention the sound pressure level reference for measurements (O dB(SPL)) is still taken to be 20 =B5Pa RMS, regardless of frequency.

For interest, the SPL at which a vacuum is pulled (From 2 atm to 0) is

194 db (SPL).
Reply to
spamtrap1888

"Blarp"

** ROTFL !!

There will be no such note.

Classic blunder of assuming " beat notes" really exist.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yes, scroll down this web page to Psychoacoustics for some related weird stuff (links); ie. silent sound, Dakota Audio ...

http:/www/mindcontrolgrid.com/applications.htm

Ken Gillmore

Reply to
kengillmore

Which is why rockets taking off, with over 200dB SPL, are so impressive...

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Good to see that you're on top of this with your Classic breadth of knowledge.

There exist directional audio sources designed for localized listening in crowded environments like museums and trade shows. They claim to work by mixing two carefully predistorted and highly directional ultrasonic signals that mix to produce audio using the nonlinearity of the air at the point of intersection.

I once emailed a vendor asking the SPL required to produce sufficient nonlinearity in the air and how they determined it to be safe for human hearing. They chose not to respond. Maybe they couldn't HEAR ME!

Reply to
mike

I have a matched set of Earthworks piezo film omnis that shows flat response and an excellent pulse response with about 2.5 us rise time, iirc. Impact of very small particles is a good way to make delta function stimulus sources for microphones, but that generally needs vacuum and electrostatic acceleration.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

** Yep - known about them for decades.

Got SFA to do with the post I replied to.

The so called " beat note " is imaginary, the result of rapid amplitude variations and not the generation of a low frequency difference product.

** My understanding is that the non-linearity being exploited is inside the hearer's ears and as a result some hear the disembodied sound much clearer than others do.

Air is pretty much linear up to about 150dB SPL.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Tim Williams"

** Yep, the nearby air is compressed by more than 2 atmospheres and shock waves are generated - as with explosions and gun shots.

By computing a SPL figure taken at some distance back to the source ( using inverse square ) one comes up with figures like 200dB.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

ies?

y and

.

sure

Hi John, The log taper just makes the resistance logarithmic with the knob angle. It doesn't make the gain nonlinear. So I've been reading ultra sonic stuff. Here's a way to make some sum and difference frequencies. Take a *non- polarized* piece of Ferro electric (Barium titinate, or PZT) and send both frequencies in. The strain developed in the X-tal depends on the square of the electric field. It's like magneto-striction. (We've all heard transformers hum at 120/100 Hz. twice the line frequency.) I don't know where to get non-polarized ferro-electrics. But if I find some I'll let you know.

George H.

  • PZT speakers/transducers are polarized (cooled through their Curie point with an electric field applied.) I've heard this before, but it only sunk in yesterday.
Reply to
George Herold

he

The ear is weird. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

X5R, Z5U and worse dielectrics tend to be nasty in microphonics. Maybe a small value would be suitable so as not to load down the circuit too badly.

Else, the curie temp of ferroelectrics isn't high, you could easily anneal one of those brass disc types. Careful they don't come unsoldered, or oxidize, or some glue burns up, or I don't know what else..

Tim

[...]

ncies?

ied

ncy and

ty.

essure

ps

not

ge.- Hide quoted text -

ume

hat

und

Oops, that won't make sum and difference frequncies that you can hear. Only in the voltage developed across the X-tal.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

y.