EEyore FYI - And the IPCC wants to appear balnced?

Whenever I see a number like that it gets my attention. Where does it come from?

My rough calculations suggest that mice and voles, in the USA, account for about 1/6 as much as human biomass. I suppose I could do frogs and salamanders and such, but maybe you don't allow them as "land-based."

I wonder about lizards. And deer, moose, raccoons, porcupines, bears, coyotes, wolves, foxes, snakes, prarie dogs, gophers, chipmonks...

There are about 300 million rabbits in Australia. At 5 pounds each, that's 1.5e9 pounds of rabbits, about 0.2% of the mass of all the humans on Earth.

Numbers are fun. Anybody want to do kangaroos?

John

It's derived from an NAS report in 1997, or very close to that year (+/-1), if memory serves. I'll see if I can refind the report for you.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Haven't found the compiled report yet, but I do remember the author -- Paul MacCready. I did find one of his talks back in 1997/1998 or so that gets you the rough picture:

I've got two full days ahead, so I am probably going to place finding the report into my "do when I am motivated" bin.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

More interesting would be to do the math, starting with kangaroos.

John

That's why I want to find the report, John. The video doesn't provide sources and calculations. Sorry about your impatience on this, but it may have to wait up a bit. Perhaps you might take this on as a pet project?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

No, too much work. It's hard to find population numbers for various critters. I was wondering what might be the ratio of pigeon to human biomass in San Francisco, but I couldn't find hard data on the birds. All anybody will say is "too many."

But the roos in Australia are roughly 0.3% of world human biomass.

John

I thought those were high from the 1970's through the middle of the current decade (as indicated from solar activity) and Earth's magnetic field (which gives most f Earth's surface and troposphere protection from those) was supposed to be in a downturn over the past few centuries.

Don Klipstein

are

I am well aware of lightning from tops of thunderstorms, including "positive giants" (to ground - I have even seen those), and dimmer less common upward ones through at least much of the stratosphere.

How would cloud tops generate gamma rays? Can you provide a link explaining a mechanism for cloud tops to generate gamma rays? Can you provide a link to measurements that they have actually been known to have done so?

Don Klipstein

If this were representative of the ideas that you develop and sell, you wouldn't be in business. It displays a truly stunning ignorance of the whole field of climate change, and your claim that it was original points up the fact that you haven't done any significant browsing in an area where you were bold enough to put forward a sincere - but totally off-the-wall - suggestion.

I think you've got that right.

That's your perception. For the record, I don't have any particular emotional commitment to anthropogenic global warming. For some odd reason, I do seem to have an emotional commitment to pointing out errors of fact - and our in-house group global warming sceptics are a fertile source of this kind of aggravation.

And I'm envious of your situation, and the non-electronic skills that got you there. Neither of us can do much about global warming, but I do have the time to point out the defects in the denialist case (all- too-regularly presented here), and I can delude myself into believing that it is worth doing

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

JK > Sometimes, I wonder if we are any smarter than bacteria.

Jon, Your last two paragraphs and this concluding statement imply hatred for humanity. You might want to have that looked at.

Did you write all that on the fly for this newsgroup or did you cut and paste that from your collection of screed?

It looked very well written for newsgroup posting.

Now that you've said it, it's in print so it MUST be true, right?

Reply to
Greegor

In other words, you enjoy being a rude, off-topic tedious fathead.

I enjoy designing electronics.

John

in

are

Denmark

scientific

climate,

Try google for the observational data. Of course I can't explain the mechanism; so far, nobody can. That's the point, isn't it? That all sorts of stuff remains amazing and unexplained. And until it's all explained, one should be cautious about certainty.

John

Well, I'm a denialist. When do I get my check from Exxon-Mobil? >:->

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Lions and tigers and bears! Oh my!

ob puzzle:

On which continent do lions, tigers, and bears all coexist? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You made the claim, you back it up, weasel.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

In zoos? Asia maybe. Don't know about the lions tho. I wonder where the lions are?

Reply to
ingvald44

And hey presto, the original article:

Raveninghorde

are

Solar activity is decreasing:

Sunspot cycle 24 has been revised down since this article

This should increase cosmic rays due to a reduced solar magnetosphere

- if Svensmark is right.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

high voltages produce X rays, perhaps a similar mechanism?

Reply to
Jasen Betts

any with a sporting league with those teams?

Reply to
Jasen Betts