ebay OLED module driven and powered from PC parport in Linux

ebay OLED module driven and powered from PC parport in Linux

I bought ebay item 171069574803, a small OLED display module, 11$

Releasing new test code:

This is C test code via PC parport using I2C

This is for now the final version of the text code, I have added: Character display Fonts Bitmap display of bitmaps made with Linux 'bitmap', Some bitmap animation example, A dot plot code example, A line drawing code example.

You should be able to take it from there on almost any micro.

Code is now 100% GPL.

Please note that this module does _not_ I repeat NOT allow read back from its display RAM using the I2C or SPI protocol, only using 8080 or 6800 interface (8 bits wide).

However the routines are written with an (optimized) read back in mind, see display buffer in the C code. So that should be no problem. This is the last code release of this driver, as now testing is finished. So grab it while you can.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Got it. It turns out that one needs to diddle Linux inb,outb to /dev/io to make it compile under FreeBSD. Thank you again.

--
      __
   __/  \

Got it. Your new test code, that is. I'm still waiting for the part. :) It turns out that one needs to diddle Linux inb,outb to /dev/io to make it compile under FreeBSD. Thank you again.

--
      __
   __/  \
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don Kuenz

On a sunny day (Thu, 30 Jan 2014 18:25:20 +0000 (UTC)) it happened Don Kuenz wrote in :

I have been unable to get the 'zoom' function working right in this module. maybe I do it wrong, but I follow the datasheet.

Decided to do this in software, as else the characters are very small, and I have trouble reading them.

I have horizontal stretch now working (22:30 in the evening), maybe later the vertical stretch, That would make this thing a lot more usable to display numbers etc... I mean via a PIC without RAM to hold the 1024 bytes display buffer. So maybe there will be a new release later on.

I really like these OLED units, already made a script that puts time and date on it from the PC, so if the monitor is off you still have a clock.... It automatically decreases contrast in the evening:

/usr/local/sbin/date_to_oled Row 30 Col 1 10:59 Ctrl-K H for help

while [ 1 ] do year=$(date +%Y) date=$(date "+%a %d %B") time=$(date +%H:%M) hour=$(date +%H) contrast=0 if [ "$hour" -lt 16 -a "$hour" -ge 8 ] then contrast=128 fi lm096_oled -c -k $contrast -t "$year $date $time" sleep 60 done exit 1

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 30 Jan 2014 18:25:20 +0000 (UTC)) it happened Don Kuenz wrote in :

I released version 3 with software genrated double size characters

Actually got the hardware 'zoom' function working, but that has severe limitations, only workes from line 1, and no x,y positioning of text.

The software solution I wrote makes nice characters where you want those, you can make double hight, or double width, or both, with command line flags, and add incremental text at x, y locations:

Picture of big text, not bad:

Thats is with flash, the flash does not blind it at all...

Without flash and camera macro mode:

I have decided to order some more of these modules now.. have to port all that code to PIC 18 asm...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje