e-Ink and Other Paper Like Displays

Speaking of "Better is the enemy of good enough":

I am reminded of some new cell phones that have a FOLDABLE display.

Personally, I'm having trouble justifying why I might ever "need" such a thing. But I guess, since it "can" be done, it must be done, and the Millennial crowd will flock to it like gravy on a biscuit. It's new and cool. But really, that's about it.

To me: It's money I could spend on ammo. :) Or more realistically: If I actually owned one, I'd probably be constantly worrying about the damn thing breaking.

When my last phone died, I went to Costco and got the least expensive Android phone they had. $240. Which happened to be a Samsung Galaxy J4.

With my eyesight these days, these high-pixel count foldable (and outrageously expensive) screens don't offer me anything.

Reply to
mpm

ht use on a cork bulletin board, only super-sized) and proceeded to scratch , scrape, gouge and chisel away at the phone's display. And he wasn't hold ing back. I mean, he was abusing this phone in ways you or I would never e ven dream of -- even after a few important calls dropped! :)

es out a small cloth and wipes the surface. It's perfectly untouched! Spo tless! Not a scratch on it!

t.

io was downright terrible. Probably something to do with it being waterpro of. Plus, it only had 16GB or memory and no way to increase it.

Have you heard of Gorilla Glass? Probably what was in it. I believe most phones have that now, but what about the touch screen? How is that made? Is it something behind the glass? Seems that would be the weak link in the chain if it's on the outside.

I know my cell is so sensitive that I don't have to actually touch it. Som etimes my finger is hovering over the glass and gets too close, boom, the b utton is pressed without a touch. You'd think they would have a higher thr eshold of touch than an air gap can provide, but maybe that is for when you are wearing thin gloves like medical stuff.

--

  Rick C.

  -++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricketty C

thing.

crowd will flock to it like gravy on a biscuit. It's new and cool. But re ally, that's about it.

ly worrying about the damn thing breaking.

roid phone they had. $240. Which happened to be a Samsung Galaxy J4.

ously expensive) screens don't offer me anything.

Maybe you misunderstand what a foldable screen is. It's a BIGGER screen so things can be bigger on it. My phone has a 5.25 inch display and watching videos is hard to see anything much. Often text is too small to see. I t hink I have mine set for enlargement by 10% or so, but apps don't always wo rk properly putting some things off the screen when they should fit.

If I had a double size screen it would make it much easier to see the durn thing. I could actually make out images and videos and read the text even if I have to set the magnification to 2x since I now have twice the space!

I think the only real problem with the folding screens is the radius of cur vature. They can't fold very tight so the folded screen has to be thick. Hard to fit in the pants pocket and very hard to one hand... make that impo ssible to one hand. They will also ruin the after market for cases. No wa y to put an external case on a folding phone, but maybe I underestimate the ir ingenuity.

Oh yeah, a folding phone is not going to have the typical HD aspect ratio e ither. I think that's a plus, especially for videos.

--

  Rick C.

  +-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricketty C

On Sunday, 24 May 2020 17:00:52 UTC-7, Ricketty C wrote: ...t.

t phones have that now, but what about the touch screen? How is that made? Is it something behind the glass? Seems that would be the weak link in t he chain if it's on the outside.

There are many layers in an LCD phone display, the actual display is 5 or 6 layers down.

Typically the exterior glass is about 1mm thick made of Gorilla glass or si milar.

Then there is adhesive, glass or plastic touch sensor, more adhesive, LCD c olor filter and polarizer.

Then the top glass layer of the LCD, a space filled with liquid crystal mat erial, another layer of glass, followed by the rear polarizer and backlight .

The iPhone 5-8 and S1 and 2 use a technique of which I was one of the inven tors where there is no separate touch sensor, the electrodes within the LCD display itself serve double duty as touch sensing electrodes. That gets ri d of the touch sensor and a layer of adhesive so reducing the overall thick ness and giving a clearer display.

kw

ometimes my finger is hovering over the glass and gets too close, boom, the button is pressed without a touch. You'd think they would have a higher t hreshold of touch than an air gap can provide, but maybe that is for when y ou are wearing thin gloves like medical stuff.

The touch has to be sensed through about 1mm of glass and a layer of adhes ive. Finger size, phone grounding, interference from other circuitry etc al l affect sensitivity. Typically the phone needs to be sensitive to about 1f F of capacitance change, with parasitics that may add up to 1000pF or so!. ...

Reply to
keith wright

Interesting. What are some relevant patent numbers?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

On Monday, 25 May 2020 15:16:34 UTC-7, Joe Gwinn wrote ...

Here are a couple:

US8537126B2 US8810537B2 US8982058B2

Reply to
keith wright