E-cigarette technology

Electronic vaporizers seem to have some fairly sophisticated electronics inside. Big tobacco can suck a lemon, but this teardown of a PM vaporizer is pretty interesting:

Apparently both the cartridge and the battery have a microprocessor (ATTINY84 in the battery stick) which communicate with each other over an encrypted channel to verify cartridge authenticity. It looks like an air flow sensor then increments a counter based on how long a drag one takes, and stores the result in EEPROM.

And if I'm reading the article correctly, cutting the LED leads may disable the whole system and allow cartridges to be reused.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Sorry, looks like it's an RJ product, not PM.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

It's like an inkjet printer that causes heart attacks.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Propylene glycol seems pretty safe compared to whatever is in the real thing...

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

In modern vaporizers, all that's coming into the lungs is heated glycol vapor, plus flavoring and some concentration of nicotine depending on the product. It's not like those old electronic cigarettes that used actual heated tobbaco.

Nicotine divorced from all the bad combustion byproducts doesn't seem too horrible - it's actually been studied as a treatment for Parkinsons disease and schizophrenia.

But it's still a stimulant drug and addictive, yeah.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Nicotine is addictive.[11] In lesser doses (an average cigarette yields about 2 mg of absorbed nicotine), the substance acts as a

harmful.[12][13][14] This stimulant effect is a contributing factor to the addictive properties of tobacco smoking. Nicotine's addictive nature includes psychoactive effects, drug-reinforced behavior, compulsive use, relapse after abstinence, physical dependence and tolerance.[15]

Nicotine is associated with cardiovascular disease, potential birth defects, and poisoning

Nicotine was evolved as an antiherbivore, which is why cows don't smoke.

Vaping is an ideal addiction path for teenagers.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Chemical-that-can-irritate-lungs-found-in-flavored-e-cigarettes

Or not, such small levels.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

It is sad how much electronic technology is used to exploit human appetites and weaknesses.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Oh Holy One, how do you hear the plantive cries of we mortals up there?

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Yeah, and abstinence-only sex ed works great, too.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

"When I was young I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted."--W C Fields

(Fields was riffing off Erasmus of Rotterdam: 'When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes.')

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Are you a smoker? Smokers almost always defend nicotine. Addiction works that way.

Slot machines, video games, cell phones, junk food, violent movies are all superbly optimized to exploit our lower brain functions and make a lot of money.

Coffee and chocolate, too, but those are noble vices.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Occasional vaporizer yes, but not regular cigarettes.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Alcohol is engineered to make a lot of money, dont ever try it it's bad

Sex was engineered (by something or other) to exploit our lower brain functions and makes a lot of money don't try that one either

Conservatives - you should have the freedom to do whatever you like (except when we don't like it)

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

I'm going to spend half money on alcohol, drugs and gambling, the other half I'm going to waste.

Unknown

Reply to
amdx

As I said, it was Fields.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

chocolate is me :)

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Ok you get the credit, I'll go back and learn to read instead of skim.

Mikek :-)

Reply to
amdx

Highland Technology is under investigation by the drug squad. Apparently their products make physicists feel good.

Winfield Hill is setting up an initiative to help physicists design and build their own electronics, so they don't have to rely on pushers.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Not me. Chocolate is #1 on my list of things that produce acid reflux. About 2 weeks ago, I managed to stockpile a fair amount of chocolate covered peanuts, dark chocolate with nuts and sea salt, and a few random chocolate bars. For reasons I'll refuse to disclose, I stuffed my face with about a pound of this stuff, just before bedtime. About 2 hrs later, my digestive system announced its displeasure by simulating a volcanic eruption. I spent the rest of night dealing with the corrosive results of aspirated stomach acid in the throat, trachea, and nasal cavities. It took about a week to fully recover. Lesson learned: Chocolate is good, but only in moderation.

I don't drink, don't smoke, don't gamble, and don't do recreational drugs. They've all been replaced by computing, the ultimate vice.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com