dual pulse generator

We'll have a blast of light that's modulated by a mach-zehnder thing. We want real dark some times so we'll run that modulated light through another e/o modulator driven as a gate. Envision lots of dollars.

We need two gate pulses, programmable in about a 40 ns window. This should work:

We have the parts in stock. At first I thought that using xor gates was dumb, but it's actually cool. The comparator outputs are basically a thermometer code.

The dual comparators can have a little crosstalk between halves, maybe bad to make very short pulses, but we can use the comparators in any order, just by programming the quad 16-bit DAC. I can make two pulses by firing A-C-B-D or anything.

I can set two DACs to +4 volts and take two of the comparators out of the game, to make one pulse if the customer wants to do that. This circuit can make no pulses too!

Crazy simple compared to some other ideas. I was consider using PECL wired-OR to do some combining logic, but that's very nasty with picosecond edges, and every trace a transmission line.

Reply to
jlarkin

Neat. I don't get why 3 termination/pulldowns?

piglet

Reply to
piglet

All PECLs are terminated of course. I drew "typ" to suggest that.

Reply to
jlarkin

That's what I thought but then wondered why only 3 had resistors and I missed some devious trick. Thanks.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

Quad packs would be good for the pulldowns.

Reply to
jlarkin

Depending on your timing requirements, you'll get a lot better extinction if the second gate is an AO rather than EO. You need ~100 ns to play with though.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The whole shot lasts about 40 ns. The first EOM gets an optional fiducial pulse, maybe 100 ps wide, a pause, and then 20 ns or so of arbitrary waveform. The two square pulses, into the second eom, straddle both.

I'll have to use a pricey, fiddly distributed amplifier for the first one, but might try just some switching phemts for the square pulse.

Reply to
jlarkin