dsp/fft. Help with simple design

Hi I hope someone in this group can help me. I have a basic understanding of electronics and uC, but my knowledge is - to say the least - a bit rusty. A friend of mine asked me to help build a circuit, so now I ask here:-)

Wanted: I need to produce a 100kHz sine wave with an amplitude in the range [2 5] V. I'm not sure about the resolution, but I guess (!) it should be 10 or 12 bits. This is used as input to a substance via two electrodes, and I need to measure on this substance using two other electrodes and do a fft on the measurements. The current design uses a uC (atmel something) and a AD5933 which then produces the result for use in the uC. But now we are looking for a simpler way in which we hopefully can use just one chip. Needless to say it should be small and low power!

Can anyone give a hint to what chip to use for this or other guidelines? Any help is greatly appreciated. Best, John Doe

Reply to
tilnews

You won't find any uC (internal A2D) fast enough to match the AD5933. What's wrong with the 2 chips design?

Reply to
linnix

I'll bet you can do with just the AD5399 and a i00Hz crystal oscillator.

Jerry

Jerry Avins

Yes, a three chips solution:

AD5933, AD5399 and XC3S1000 should work.

=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF= =AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF

Reply to
linnix

The speed is not the most important issue, overall size is. It doesn't need to be "real time" fft. It is okay, if we just send a sine for a few ms and then use a few seconds processing the result.

Reply to
tilnews

Hi John,

How about something like TI's MSP430F155? It has on-board 12-bit ADC and DAC, is very low-power, and enough MIPS to do the simple DSP tasks you ask for.

--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Remember the good old 1980\'s, when
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  things were so uncomplicated?"

That looks very interesting. I'll give that one a check. Thanks

Reply to
tilnews

Be aware that it can probably do a few hundred KSPS at best, not MSPS.

Reply to
linnix

DAC,

It's an 8 MHz part - you can probably get 1 MSPS out of it, if you're just outputting to a DAC and collecting input from a ADC. Note that it has DMA, so you won't waste cycles transferring data.

--
%  Randy Yates                  % "How\'s life on earth?
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  ... What is it worth?"
http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr
Reply to
Randy Yates

I went and checked out the data sheet, do not count on more than about 250 k samples / second. Try a real DSP of the TMS320c5000 series.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

Try the analog devices microcontroller ADUC70XX

lower price then MSP430 ($5), with much better analog (1 MHz 12 bit A/D same as the AD5933, and 12 bit DAC) and a much better processor (32 bit

40MHZ ARM), a FFT is no problem with chip, they come in small 6x6 mm packages too, down side is it takes more power then the MSP430, (11mA At 5Mhz, 40mA at 40Mhz), but if you can afford the power this would be a better choice
Reply to
steve

sure you can, the Analog Devices ADUC70XX uC has a better A/D then the AD5933

Reply to
steve

And even though the package is prototype-unfriendly, there's a $30 "mini kit" which has the ADuC7020 on a 40 pin DIP sized board. I found it while looking for discrete DACs for a microcontroller project. The Analog part really takes the analog parts (sorry) much more seriously than a typical microcontroller. They don't multiplex the ADC and DAC pins with GPIOs. The ADC performance is way beyond typical micros.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

Hey Ben,

These look like really cool parts. Thanks for bringing them to my (our) attention.

--
%  Randy Yates                  % "So now it\'s getting late,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %    and those who hesitate
http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr
Reply to
Randy Yates

sparkfun.com also has them in DIP sized boards

The Analog part

Yes, the ADuCs are basically A/D's with processors added on, while most micros add the A/D's on as a afterthough. All the ADuC's A/D characteristics are spec at full processor speed, including noise, the MSP430 datasheets don't even specify noise or even input bandwidth of it's A/D, well at least I couldn't find them, the MSP430 is still a nice chip though, very low power.

Reply to
steve