Driving Too Slow (2023 Update)

Trump and Bojo have significant similarities. They are both narcissistic, have a complete disregard for the truth (it's not just that they lie - they really don't care if what they say is true or not), care nothing for their country or the people in it, view themselves as above the law, reward loyalty richly and punish (perceived) disloyalty harshly, and surround themselves with sycophants. They both consider themselves to be experts in all they do, and to know better than the /real/ experts. Both are evil bullies. Trump has a carefully managed hairdo designed to look like a dead squirrel lives on his head. Bojo has a carefully managed hairdo that would embarrass any self-respecting scarecrow. I could go on.

But there are also differences - Bojo is actually quite intelligent, while Trump is a complete moron.

You managed to get rid of Trump (though not his memory, legacy or groupies), the UK has still got Bojo. And Trump was more of a one-man catastrophe, while many of the UK's current problems stretch much further back - Brexit in particular was not of Bojo's creation. The Brexit referendum was before he was prime minister, and he was originally against it, until he figured out that he could gain political power by supporting it. (That's not to say that the USA does not also suffer from long-term social and political problems with roots far deeper than just the last presidency or two. If we try to dig up all the major troubles the USA and the UK have, we'll be here all day!)

Overall, I don't think Trump would make the UK situation much worse - but he would not be capable of helping it either. Anyway, we have enough of his lying, cheating, tax-dodging and environmentally damaging golf courses already.

Reply to
David Brown

WTF do you think finalising commercial and contractual arrangements means? The whole thing got bogged down because the price of electricity was changing so fast that many suppliers were going bust.

Can you read?

It means they can't agree who pays for what and an acceptable tariff for electricity supply. It is in the interests of the supplier to hold out since the price of electricity is rising by the day.

Domestic consumers are protected (for now) by a price cap. When it runs out in April (or their supplier goes bust) there will be a massive readjustement of +50% perhaps more.

Quite probably a bit of both. But as things stand UK electricity suppliers with very few exceptions have *NO* generating capacity at all

- they are clueless middlemen billing operations. Wonderful effect of deregulation of the electricity market.

It is roughly split into the people who make it, the regional infrastructure operators and the people who bulk buy electricity and sell it on. Many of the latter were also operating on the spot market and so have been comprehensively wiped out by the gas price shocks.

They remain unable to get supply. That is pretty damn fundamental.

It is you who are determined to remain clueless.

You obviously cannot do sums either.

You can't build enough storage to handle the high energy users. Most of the really high power kilns run 24/7 so they need continuous supply. Worse still much of it can be seriously damaged if dropped off supply suddenly and kilns are allowed to cool beyond a certain point.

It can work to handle silly dynamic spike loads like half time of the World cup or Wimbledon for example, but they represent a drop in all the worlds oceans when compared to the really big industrial users.

Reply to
Martin Brown

The article says nothing about that. Sorry, appeal rejected. Do you have any evidence of what you wrote about the issue being pricing?

See, I have a hard time imagining a business spending a boatload of money on a project before they had the details ironed out. If you don't know what you have to pay for electricity, you can't know if your venture will be profitable. Who is going to sink a couple of million dollars into a venture before they know how profitable it will be... oh, I know! The UK nuclear power industry!!! Now they are talking about making the rate payers partners, not in the profits, but in the cost overruns. Yeah, a great business community.

Yes, and you have acknowledged what you claim was not written. It is you reading what is not written.

Show me how that follows? Why would anyone start construction before such fundamental details are spelled out? They wouldn't.

Not at all relevant to the issue of arranging electrical power.

So you claim. "were still finalizing commercial and contractual arrangements" does not imply anything about supply.

So you failed the same class since you can't show anything to contradict this. It is well known that for the general public, EVs are easy to keep charged and use relatively little power. As long as everyone doesn't start charging in the evening peak time, there's no undue load on the system. No new generating plants are needed. No new transmission is needed. Since the UK uses 240V and can provide a bit higher power to a standard outlet, that will adequately home charge EVs in 99.9% of cases.

Please show me I'm wrong. How you get that extension cord to the EV is up to you. I can't fix all your problems. ;)

Even more reason to have storage. Your claim of not being able to have enough storage skirts the issue. If you are paying more to shut down the businesses than it would cost to build the storage, then build the damn storage!!! You don't need 24/7 storage. You only need the amount you are short of generating at peak times. Is that not clear? Think of the kettles going on at a world cup commercial. It's like that, but smaller.

Lol! You literally can't follow the reasoning. Whatever. I am amazed at how the British have done so much over the centuries, but now seem to be at the end of their rope, unable to solve the simplest of problems like providing electrical power to their country. Oh, well. Another empire lost and a third world country created.

Reply to
Rick C

On Mon, 24 Jan 2022 11:39:18 +0000, Martin Brown >

[snip]

This exact same kind of thing occurred in 2000-2001 in California.

.

California had price controls on the retail price of electricity, and no limits on the wholesale price of electricity. What can go wrong?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Walking is becoming a hazard too. This is two cases in a single block:

I see the van is on leveling blocks. One looks like a hose rather than an electric cord. Maybe he's filling a water bed.

Some people are afraid of everything. I guess that happens when you get old and everything is a fall hazard.

Reply to
Rick C

I suspect it is water and electricity and someone is living in it, and the blocks is to make the floor level when parked sideways on a hill

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That block has a stunning view of downtown, especially at night. I can imagine people not looking where they are walking.

Somebody tried that not too far from me, in a conservation area full of houses converted into flats.

He gave it up as impractical, and sold his EV.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

In the first pic one might ask why he didn't pull the car into his garage to charge it.

The answer is that around here, about half the garages are so full of junk that no car can fit inside.

Leave the link for at least something like this:

Ed Lee

Where I'm from the sidewalks were built in colonial times and we still have bricks in many spots. Where they replaced the bricks with concrete it heaves from tree roots. Anyone who doesn't watch where they walk is asking for trouble. So too is it with life.

I'm actually very surprised Larkin is complaining about this. It sounds more like something he would claim was a silly fear based approach to life. I wonder what Larkin would say if someone fell on this sidewalk while taking a selfie?

Reply to
Rick C

I like the way they make it gray so it isn't too obvious. lol The flat I'm in this week is actually very nice, on the town plaza, second floor with spacious rooms. The bathroom floor is raised almost an inch though and just a step function, no ramp, no marking. The first night I walked in the bathroom I actually stubbed my toe. Who expects an inch step in the bathroom??? Like the cord cover, it needs some color to make it visible. I guess you pay more attention to this stuff when you get older.

Reply to
Rick C

Funny how they add these insanely long random codes to URLs. This works just as well. Anyone know what they are doing?

Rick C

John Larkin <jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The second one is not an EV. He is charging his batteries and the second cord is to make use of power while the circuit normally connecte to the batteries is offline.

The first one says to me that the guy stuffed his garage full of something other than a bare spot for his car to sit on. If it is another car, that is the one to park on the street. Unless it is a 'fancy car' or such.

It would seem that a structure of two beams would make a device that carries the cord above the sidewalk and drops it down to the car. And the top ,ount and car mount hold it rigid (enough).

I think there is a product there. Big, soft, valved suction cup for the end that goes down to the car and a hard mounted "jack" up on the wall for the top beam to "plug" into. One could even incorporate the cord for specific vehicles into it. My idea. You saw and read about it here first.

And oh looky, no longer a code violation!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Ed Lee snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Might make code in a factory floor setting, but not on a public walkway. It would technically be up to code, but I guarantee the city won't go for it.

So as long as it is temporary and the user pulls it up when complete, leaving no remnant, it might get "ignored".

Still it would be ideal to simply elevate it and fashion a device to support the new routing out over the walkway. Still temporary only.

Find it at Office Depot as they are closing stores and you might find it cheaper.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Rick C snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

snip!

Chop a big 8 x 10 inch box out of the slab in the garage and core drill under the walkway and exit at the curb. Put caps on it to keep it clear when not using it. So, probably two inches would do, eh?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

What, spend almost $15 to be a good neighbor?

The owner of that car was in a bad mood, having to pay for electricity. For some odd reason he couldn't use a free charging station.

Reply to
jlarkin

yeah, but pick one that's actually large enough to fit the cable.

what do the rules say about parking in that spot anyway?

Reply to
Jasen Betts

I've no idea for this particular example, but sometimes these extra parameters are used to hold options such as filters or selection or display options for pages. They might hold preferences for currency or country. They might also hold a cookie code for a server-side session tracker - that lets you have a "session" on the webside without any local cookies (and without the pointless "this site uses cookies - do you accept that?" nonsense).

Reply to
David Brown