Does anyone here know how do laser LED-s fail?

I got a new laser module to engrave anodized aluminium with, one with 10W output (40W in it says), NEJE E40. (

, this one; I had a 5W output of theirs before that which did not have the power to engrave the plates I had the most of, was good for those I had run out of of course). It worked fine for a few hours of tests then it lost most of its power. I measured the consumption, it is about 40W (on a test setup, not while engraving on the machine).

Do laser LEDs fail like this? Just lose output power while consuming as usual? I am sort of furious as this was nothing I could not do without, just wasted time on it. May be some day I'll waste some more time replacing the LEDs etc. but not today, may be not this year...

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

Yes. It’s usually facet damage or dislocations getting into the active area.

I doubt you could buy parts for that price.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

So these have died after just a few hours of use. Great. It was meant to be a toy to enjoy...

I do find some NUBM47-A1 laser LEDs two of which would cost almost as much as I already paid for the aliexpress NEJE module. But it was meant to be fun, I don't need the wrestling part to finish their half-baked product... May be I will one day, if I really need the thing. For now I'll just forget about it.

Thanks Phil, I was hoping you would come in and explain as you did.

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

Momentary over-current? Static? (it's winter after all).

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Insufficient heatsinking is one way that they end up junked.

It could just be bad luck. Infant mortality in these devices seems to be a bit of an issue - a bit like with filament lamps of old if it survives the first 10 hours from first use then it should be OK for 1000+ hours.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Did not look like that, its fan worked, it has plenty of heatsinking etc. And the part of the room where it worked is pretty cold, around 15C. They report "laser temperature" on their application, which stabilized at two values it was switching between every few seconds, 45C and something like

30+ (don't remember the second one). Might be temp for each of the two lasers, might be poor temp sensor work/design/you name it. .

Likely this was the case. Some day if I really need the thing I'll replace the laser LEDs. I wonder if their control circuit is any good, it takes 12V in and has a TTL PWM input. If they PWM it directly off the 12V... well, I don't know what they do. I may find out if I get back to it one day...

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff