DMMs with decent current resolution?

I resemble that remark.

I was wondering Phil, what is your username on EEVBLOG? Care to tell? :-)

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

? :-)

I don't recall ever posting there, though I may have long ago. I don't like proprietary platforms, for one thing.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

Phil Hobbs

In case dynamic range matters for whateveritis you are doing:

I was impressed some years ago by BW shots from the air of ships spilling oil, a near 16 bit dynamic range, and the display software just a 256 bits sliding window on it could read the ship name in the dark.

Download the white paper;

A lot has happened and is happening in that field. Maybe you are re-inventing the wheel? That may byte you in legal cases.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

I'm guessing you haven't read Phil's book.

(I've only read the first edition.)

Lotsa good stuff. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

George Herold wrote

You guessed right.

Have not read the art of tronics either.

smoking is bad for yer health,

Some things are amusing here. like the thread about so many pins and secure....

When I write code I do not bother with 'secure' as I know there could be someone like me somewhere who for some reason has a reason to hack it and will.

I think P.H. has camera fear ;-)

But at least he did read up on it a bit.

There is that old joke, how to detect intelligent life on some alien planet? Put a camera there and it will jump in front of it...

<698839253X6D445TD

Oh, you should definitely check out the third edition, it's chock full of useful information. (Graph of CMRR vs freq. for a bunch of instrument amps.) I think 1/2 the circuits I use started as hacks from something in AoE.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

For a moment I thought 'cosmic microwave background', but then something with commie modes more likely.

In these days google shows a lot, including circuits. I do remember I came across a page from that book in google once.

I stopped reading tronics magazines around 2000 ...

Books is a bit ancient technology, really ;-)

In the school where I learned formal 'tronics we had no books, but teachers made stencils. Always up to date that way, of course the teachers were not alway up to date, One day a guy in my class asked" 'Sir, what is exactly a complementary pair? He got almost kicked out as teacher thought it was a sex joke ;-) It took the whole class to convince the teacher it was a real question.

Transistors were kind of new,,, well for some anyways.

The times, they are a-changin'.

<698839253X6D445TD

My 1988-vintage Fluke 87 is on the sick list at the moment. :(

I bought it for a bit of moonlighting while I was a postdoc at IBM Watson--I had a small gig involving a gizmo to fuse medical waste into compact blocks to prevent it from washing up on East Coast beaches after being dumped by mob-controlled 'waste disposal' outfits. The situation didn't last long, so the opportunity didn't either. Interesting problem though.

Nah, I got another Keithley 177 for $46 including shipping. It has 1 nA resolution, which is fine for this job. Thanks though.

Fun. We got one of those some time back for a friend with limited mobility. It was fun to watch for awhile but was not reliable enough for that sort of situation.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Huh, what's wrong? Mine had a flaky input and a ~$20 new connector fixed it.

I just want it to try and keep the pet hair under control, so far it does that, but needs to be cleaned before each run.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

it can be worse,

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Dunno yet. It's had a flaky switch for some time. I'll try contact cleaner and see.

Contact cleaner brought back one of my HP 3325As--the relays are made of switch contacts touching the hard gold plating on the board.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs