Diodes instead of an OR gate

Apparent weak layout problem. At 5V, the Rds is in tens Ohm range. The 2A couldn't happen. Anyway, the 3ns 2A spike shouldn't be big deal.

Static shoot through current is ~10mA ballpark worst case. Dynamic current depends on many other things.

Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Designs

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Perhaps you should consider the problem I'm trying to solve before posting. Clearly, this will not work.

Reply to
Matt Jenkins

And at $0.41 in single unit quantities, they're cheaper and simpler to implement than the SOT dual schottky I was going to use instead.

Thanks very much, Rich. Very cool little chips.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Jenkins

This would also do the trick!

Yeah. In the circuit in question, both inputs to the OR are normally high, and one occasionally strobes low, and I'm wanting to propagate the strobe o nly when the other input is also low. Speed isn't a terrible concern since the strobes would be at worst < 300Khz, but the static power dissipation is probably worth avoiding since the rest of the circuit (if implemented in H CT) has tiny power consumption so even though it doesn't matter a lot it's probably aesthetically poor form to waste current to save a small space.

Reply to
Matt Jenkins

That Rds is for the OUTPUT stage; there's also internal stages in most CMOS, and they add to the shoot-through currents.

Look up 'exploding wires'; I've seen pass transistors feeding CMOS circuits with entirely missing bond wires, after failing under a load that my VOM claimed was sub-milliamp. Plastic-case transistors work better, in this kind of surge situation.

Reply to
whit3rd