Digital control of analog pedals

Hi all,

I'm a music student with some electronics background and I'm interested in controlling guitar pedals via a computer. Ideally, I'd like to build some class of a midi interface which would allow me to automate the amount of effect I require from each box.

An example of three pedals I'm interested in are as follows -

Eventually I'd like to try a whole range of different pedals as available here -

Control in stomp boxes seems to be achieved exclusively via pots as far as I can see (and switches I guess), therefore I was thinking that a digital POT would allow me to achieve what I'm after. When I was younger I built a circuit that used Microlan ADCs and switches and I've just discovered that they also do 100kOhm Digitals POTS -

Most stompboxes seem to use 100kOhm POTs but if I need more that

100kOhms I could simply cascade a number of them together. If I need less then I simply use less. The Microlan POT is

Anyway, the next step would be to establish how I would go about building a midi interface, suitable for use with MIDI based software, which would drive my 1-wire Lan and which would interface to a PC via usb. But right now I'm interested in knowing if you guys think my approach is a good one and if you have any other ideas or suggestions which might be useful to me.

Thanks for your help,

Barry.

Reply to
bg_ie

Seems like a good approach. Make sure you use one that can handle the typical 9V supplies (actually often a bit higher, if powered from an AC adapter); signal excursion may or may not be that high.

And look out for "zipper noise" when changing pot settings while signal is present. Some digital pots are more prone to this than others, apparently.

There are a number of manufacturers making digital pots - you might want to do a bit of hunting around before you settle on one in particular. Google is your friend.

Reply to
Walter Harley