small reverse polarisation of electrolytic capacitor

I have a small circuit with a 100uF cap that is usually charged with 6V. However it can be accidentally charged at -6V for few hours per day. I cannot add a diode in series as the cap must be able to discharge through a load. Would a diode or a Schottky in parallel be enough to protect it against reverse voltage? I mean, is -0.7V or -0.2V bad for an electrolytic (or tantalum) cap over a long time?

Or a non-polar electrolytic would simply be a better choice?

Octavio

Reply to
Octavio

"Octavio"

** Total bullshit.
** Shame about the voltage sound being shorted out.

** Electros no - tants are more delicate.

** Its kinda obvious - isn't it ?

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Bad idea all round.

Yes it would, obviously.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

--
Sounds to me like making sure the "accident" doesn\'t happen would be
the best way to go.

Got a schematic?
Reply to
John Fields

. Solid tantalum capacitors can take a small reverse voltage (up to a volt or so) without damage, so a Schottky diode in parallel to protect against reverse polarity would work. . Wet-slug tantalums and aluminum electrolytics will be damaged by application of even a small reverse voltage. Don't do it!

Reply to
jd_lark

** Totally false.

Such caps can easily be rendered permanently leaky by a reverse voltages of

1 volt.

** Bollocks.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

circuit with a 100uF cap that is usually charged with 6V.

You can't say that without knowing the OP's application. A bi-polar cap is by far the best solution.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

The cap is part of a classic charge pump that adds its voltage to give +12V (or so) to a light load. However the driver may stay locked to a positive voltage for some time (and I can't do anything about this driver, out of reach). This means the cap will now be charged in reverse.

Octavio

Reply to
Octavio