Detecting and locating footsteps economically

Hi to all

I have an application where I wish to detect both the footsteps of a person *and* the location. I?m using a piezoelectric cable since it can measure activity some distance away, due to its microphonic properties. Then, when someone steps on the cable, it will close a contact of some kind. There will several contacts laid out at say, 0.5 meter intervals. In order to locate a footstep, the contacts should not close too readily. I enclose the schematic of one contact along the cable.

/ /

Reply to
kmlee

Hi,

That is exactly that what I have to develop actually. You can send me more details what you need. May be my system will fullfill your needs or I may offer you a solution to built

.5 meters seems to be too much, this is more than one footlength so the foot may stand between the cables.

I invite you to write your needs in detail

Regards

Marte

Reply to
Marte Schwarz

This reminds me of the show, "River Dance" (among others) where the had the fantastic capture of the heel/foot dancing sounds. I never did figure out HOW they did that recording. Directional microphones on the stage ??? Foot triggers on their legs ???

Michael Flarety or something like that.

boB

Reply to
boB

This is already done using TDR techniques. It's been a commercial product for about 15 years. They use fiber optic cable.

One of many companies. I guess this is so old the patent has expired.

The piezo cable isn't all that bad of an idea for detecting an intruder, but I'm not sure how easy it is to get position information from a piezo cable.

Reply to
miso