Design question...

You can get small machines that are light enough to put on a shelf when they are not being used. Of course they don't have the rigidity to work in hard materials of any size, but for very small stuff (say that you can hold in the palm of your hand) they are okay, but they're not a Bridgeport.

That's a factor. Chips and coolant are messy.

Some of us have these "basement" things, for example, a so-called "4,000-square foot house" with two stories might have an *extra* 2,000 square feet (not counted in the square footage by law) for such purposes, minus a wee bit of space for physical plant elements.

Also, I know some folks (retired, generally) with shops that are larger than their houses. Naturally, zoning becomes a factor in such deviant lifestyle choices.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Dead mice have usable parts? Do tell more.

Reply to
Mike Young

Hello Spehro,

It's not that simple. Any tool needs a dedicated and large enough space to really get a decent usage. A place where it is kind of ok to make a mess. That would have to be the garage and this would require tough negotiations with the missus. Maybe when I'll retire, maybe...

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

--
Really?  I was of the opinion that they were pots/rheostats operated
by floats or coaxial capacitors.

The reason for the 1/64th., is just because some of my rulers have 64th, and my daughter wants to use them as the "story stick" to test.

Thats the reason! Now for more halloween candy!

~Kam (^8*

Joerg wrote:

Reply to
Kam

automotive fuel-level sensors work on a similar principle

You'd be pushing it to get one part in 384 (1/64" / 12") precision from something like that.

can you store the position mechanically like those old push-button car radios did?

what about using the rotory encoder from an old mouse and counting pulses?

--

Bye.
   Jasen

In that case, I think Yukio has a good idea in using an optical mouse.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Hello Spehro,

That was the biggest disappointment after moving from Europe to California. No basements and no attics out here. Sigh. In hindsight we are happy because you just cannot become a packrat that way. The house may be bigger than the ones in Europe but there is not that much storage space.

Zoning laws are regulations that never made sense to me. That is one of the reasons for our high fuel consumption and for obesity. You have to drive everywhere.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg