Dennis Ritchie, creator of C and more, has died

Agreed: The hardest part for me of getting old is saying "goodbye" so often. And it's only going to get worse, until I'm the one that goes.

--
Never forget what a man says to you when he is angry.
Reply to

Ironically, it was Flavor-Aid

--
You have a reputation for being thoroughly reliable and trustworthy.
A pity that it's totally undeserved.

Do you really think that the type who buys Apple junk would buy the knockoff brand?

Michael A. Terrell

That is when they came out. Albeit the late seventies.

You and your snikerTard behavior really make you appear as the characterless bastard that you are... all the time.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

Good point. I stand corrected.

--
 That reminds me, we'll need to buy a chainsaw for the office. "In
       case of emergency, break glass"

I didn't know the city, but I mentioned Fraunhofer in Germany. I received a blank stare, like I was just pulling this stuff out of my arse.

Reply to
miso

Brilliant! Simple & appropriate.

Reply to
Bill Martin

I learned on MSC 5.2, which was about the most hideously documented compiler I ever saw. OTOH MSC 6.0 was pretty good--it came with a couple of books that I liked very well and still have. I still have a copy of "C 6.00AX for OS/2 and DOS" kicking around someplace.

The really depressing thing is that Microsoft CodeView for DOS, circa

1990, has functionality that (afaik) no modern Linux debugger has.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Debuggers as a technology seem to have peaked around 1990 in general. I am not 100% sure why that is, other than that systems stopped being single-threaded at all around then. I have not used one in anger since about 1995.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

A good debugger is a necessity for multithreaded stuff, especially if it's running on more than one core. Finding memory corruption bugs due to some timing hole in a library routine, for example, is an intractable job without one. My favourite debugger is the one that came with VisualAge C++ 3.65 for OS/2, circa 1998. For a long time I wrote code in 1995-ish C++, just so I could use that debugger. RIP.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

And that would be what features?

Ok, at that time I liked CV and we used it to crack Racal Redboard then ... CV could fit into the memory between VGA and disk contoller, so Redboard's attempt to request all of the base 640K was in vain. We spend an easter weekend for it, but, while the crack was perfect, Redboard was such a piece of it... would have been so much better to enjoy the early summer outbreak. Kinda the rightful punishment for a "Jugendsünde", just don't find the right English word... Jörg?

Somewhat later I wrote the software to control a large ultrasonic phased array in Turbo Pascal, and it worked nicely. I drove to the customer, thinking, just recompile it over the weekend on the HP64000, that high end machine, that can't go wrong. It did. Big Time. The InCircuitEmulator was great, but the Pascal compiler was so full of it... we must have been the first customer, including product test.

Last year, I wrote software for a mixed signal wafer tester and we used both gdb and TotalView in a 10 million lines software system and I don't remember a single case where I found the debugger less than fully OK. The wafer tester runs under RedHatLinux.

regards, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

My Linux debugging experience is mostly with ddd (Data Display Debugger) which is great for displaying data but much less good for program logic, thread issues, and general memory regions, e.g. spotting buffer overruns fast.

The VisualAge debugger can be set to freeze all threads whenever one hits a breakpoint, and bring up source views of them. That's like having seven-league boots when debugging thread problems.

Re: CodeView:

CodeView allows you to single-step into main(), optionally single-step through the startup code without anything blowing up, and it has a nice well-thought-out way of displaying memory contents--you can type in a a variable name or C expression from the current context, and it evaluates that and shows you that part of memory, displayed any way you like.

I'm not jonesing for CodeView, I'm pointing out that debuggers based on gdb + eye candy are _not_ the state of the art by a long chalk. A Linux version of the VAC++ debugger would be wonderful, but ain't gonna happen, unless I strike it rich and start building the software equivalent of King Ludwig's castles. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On a sunny day (Sat, 15 Oct 2011 17:24:12 -0500) it happened Les Cargill wrote in :

Right, debuggers: I never use one.

But I bought a blue insect light, one with those high voltage wires.

Now THAT is a great debugger.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

miso schrieb:

Hello,

Fraunhofer is correct, it was at the local Fraunhofer department here in Erlangen.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

CodeView was freakin' awesome! I once used it to pirate somebody else's interrupt service routine to use in a home project.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Did you know that they kill exactly the wrong bugs? The flies and mosquitos just ignore them, but the ladybugs and bees and other beneficial insects get killed.

For flies, use flypaper; for mosquitoes, use DEET. Or a flamethrower.

Of course, throw out all the standing water or oil it.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"oil it"? That doesn't get it. If you are going to leave it, then you need to treat it to sterilize them.

Reply to
MrTallyman

On a sunny day (Tue, 18 Oct 2011 02:15:36 -0700) it happened Rich Grise wrote in :

No they dont. I use it only indoors, an d ANY insect should not be there. :-)

I already found the remain of 2 mosquitos in it. Maybe you should teach them?

but the ladybugs and bees and other

Not really ;-) But the bug light does:-)

Rich

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

#include

int main() { printf("Goodbye, world!\n" ); }

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.