Deglitching a DAC

Well, if I high-passed the (variable with code) height glitches from one DAC and they closely matched the glitches from the other (over different codes), I could subtract the two, and indeed it might be much better than a LPF.

It's an innovative & interesting idea, but the thousands of dollars extra in parts and board area make it a bit less attractive (also it would have to be established that the matching was reasonable between parts). Sounds like st that the chip maker could have done more efficiently.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

You mean close the loop around both op-amps with the RC in there? I guess that might need some thought to guarantee stability. The diode leakage shouldn't matter much since it's only got a few mV across it.

What's the advantage of that over driving G1 with a digital signal of, say +10/-5V?

(BTW, and thanks, Phil, one thing that I'd forgotten since the last time I used a dual gate MOSFET it was a little metal can with a spring clip around the leads-- these things are depletion mode, so if you need a _small_ depletion mode MOSFET even with one gate, they're a possibility).

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

A 4053 has a huge charge injection glitch, which will vary with signal voltage levels and temperature and supply voltages.

Why not?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

How is that better than highpass filtering the glitch from the same dac, and subtracting that? I believe I've just described a lowpass filter.

A fast clocked 8-bit DAC could cancel every glitch from the main dac. The lookup table would be many gigabytes, and sort of hard to generate.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

No... charge injection of a 4053 is orders of magnitude too big. Even the AD analog switches are an order of magnitude too big.

It's an op-amp output, so it's really, really low at DC and probably looks like 100 ohms or so at higher frequencies.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Yup, absolutely right. Dunh.

2^20-1 bytes = 1Mbyte per time slice, so with 256 time slices, 256Mbytes clocked out every few ns at the transitions. Kind of heroic, but maybe possible. The glitches are currently ~ 10 bits (1000 LSBs) high though, so 8 bits might be a problem (as might be LF noise/drift in the fast converter).
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Glitch width = ?

Bit time = ?

Not clear from your "every few ns" comment :-) ...Jim Thompson

The real kicker is to do this without affecting the ppm-level DC stability of the signal chain.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

There are two kinds of closed-loop S/Hs, as JL pointed out--you can run the second stage as a buffer or as an integrator. Either way, you have to do all the frequency compensation in the outer loop due to the two or three lags. Using the integrator method lets you keep the FET's drain near ground, which is nice.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's with your filter. What does it look like, step plus glitch, unfiltered? ...Jim Thompson

That's unfiltered, from the DAC output buffer op-amp, with a single LSB step (not visible on that scale).

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

What I'm trying to say is you CAN'T slew-rate limit it from the digital side, as when you cross one of those major boundaries, you get a BIG glitch, maybe 1/4 scale of the whole DAC range, and lasting for tens to hundreds of ns. Now, some DACs are not bad, and the worst-case glitch is quite reasonable, but some others have horrible glitch magnitude.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I'm sure it varies by the exact DAC construction, but my experience is the glitches are not related to specific codes, but specific transitions. So, if there is a big glitch across the 1/4 scale transition, then ANY transition that crosses the boundary creates a roughly similar glitch. This would be when the N-2 bit changes state. So, my understanding is that eliminating the two states on either side of the transition won't get rid of the glitch. Slowly creeping up on this transition also won't get rid of the glitch. It seems that lacking a DAC which has been designed from the ground up to minimize glitch energy, then some sort of sample/hold circuit would be the only solution that actually works.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

How much time until the next bit?

(My CMOS DAC's, tucked in my custom ASIC's, sure look better than that :-) ...Jim Thompson

At least you're honest :)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

You may be onto something here, but slew rate symmetry would be important. I would say an OTA with cap load is more of what you want. gm*C sets the BW, and output stage current sets the slew rate.

Reply to
miso

I can't? Of course I can. The math is simple.

as when you cross one of those major boundaries, you

Speff's glitch pics aren't anything like that bad.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Your glitch lasts about a microsecond, and peaks at 40 millivolts. Assume an 8-bit DAC with +-50 mV range. An LSB of the correction DAC is 100 uV, so it can cancel the glitch to within 100 uV, about a 400:1 improvement.

Of course, you need a time sequence of points; say we clock the correction DAC at 64 MHz, so we need a burst of 64 points for 1 usec at each main DAC load, to generate the anti-glitch waveform.

If the lookup table contains every possible code transition of the main DAC, that's a mere 64 * 2^40 bytes of lookup table.

Next, we calculate how long it will take to generate the correction table...

Oh, seems to me that the glitch you posted is a lot bigger than the

1.4 nV-sec glitch impulse on the AD5791 web page sheet.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

For each value of T. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Not if the spikes are "inband" or the data BW precludes normal filtering (did anybody say the dreaded sampling "N" word?).

Reply to
Robert Baer