Deglitching a DAC

That wouldn't bother me. I want to build some new bench supplies that I can program the voltage & current limiting. I would need two per output and I'd like at least four outputs.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On a sunny day (Tue, 17 Jul 2012 16:37:34 -0400) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

Sample output after switch change, store, etc.?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I'll ask the designer, he's a colleague.

Reply to
Stephan Goldstein

Message off into the ether.

What kind of logic are you using to drive the DAC? Is there any relationship to the driving edge speed, or does it depend only on the internal update signal after the data are in?

Reply to
Stephan Goldstein

Sure, that's the idea.. but the details of ppm-level S&H are where it gets "interesting".

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

It's doing pretty much what the data sheet says it should do, unfortunately. The glitching happens with the update.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I can certainly send you some DACs, and some nice voltage references, too. You will need a uP and some displays and encoders or something, too.

One could also do it as a feedback system, where a 24-bit delta-sigma ADC would measure the output and servo it to a target value. Some of those cheap d-s adcs are amazingly good.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I have some LCD displays & encoders.

I have some 12x1 LCD displays like these:

I have some 16x2 LCD displays like these:

I have some similar to these Rotary Encoders:

I am learning to program Atmel processors on a Arduino Mega 2560. I just haven't been able to find the DACs. We used some dual 18 bit at Microdyne to set video output levels & DC offset. A lookup table gave accurate .1 dB steps over a range of 0 to -63 dB.

I'll send you an email for my address.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Generally doesn't work. There are certain code transitions that produce large spikes, such as the half-scale and the quarter-scale transitions. It is very dependent on the internal construction of the DAC, some are really HORRIBLE, some are much better.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Sure. But I have an idea for a gated deglitcher, but it wouldn't handle big voltage steps. It might work if Speff can digitally slew-rate-limit the dac steps.

Still thinking about it.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Instruments for the past 15 years or so. Less is more, no T/H is used. The idea there is to uniformize the glitch energy, or make it code independent, and shift its spectrum to the sampling frequency where the so-called anti-imaging LPF can eliminate it. This can't be done with code-dependent glitch energy since quite a lot of it remains withing the signal band. See US5646620...guess it's still protected though.

A simple slew-rate limiter circuit might make a pretty good deglitcher. Sort of like a lowpass filter, but with more precise settling behavior.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

You've got to re-sample it outside the chip. There is no way to push things down to ppm levels on the same chip with the digital stuff on there. Mainly because there's lead inductance, chatter across the substrate, finite metal layer conductivity, inductive coupling, and all this fun stuff. I'd consider a diff-output DAC followed by a differential S&H. Decouple and bypass the supplies really well. Ferrite beads and 0402 or 0603 caps are your friends here.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Is the glitch also noticable when you change one bit? Adding more analog stuff often means more error & noise. Could this be handled in the digital domain by converging to the new value by flipping one bit at a time?

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

injection

Instruments for the past 15 years or so. Less is more, no T/H is used. The idea there is to uniformize the glitch energy, or make it code independent, and shift its spectrum to the sampling frequency where the so-called anti-imaging LPF can eliminate it. This can't be done with code-dependent glitch energy since quite a lot of it remains withing the signal band. See US5646620...guess it's still protected though.

Yep. Trick is to make desired slew-rate, yet have precise settling. ...Jim Thompson

The big problem will be charge injection in the s/h switch.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

That's where the dual-gate MOSFET comes in. They work great.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The irritating thing is that it's directly related to the switches.. and it ought to be possible to match that stuff on the chip to very close tolerances. Maybe they'd have to trim it a bit.. but 10-20mV glitches on a chip (datasheet claim, so ideal conditions) on a chip with ~100nV of RMS output noise and 1ppm linearity seems... a bit much.

Spehro Pefhany

Yes, it's dependent on the number of switches changing.. so as few as one and as many as 19 switches for a single LSB output change.

Nope. Although I suppose I could declare some codes personna (numbera?) non grata and avoid the worst of them at the expense of a bit or two resolution. 8-(

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

injection

Instruments for the past 15 years or so. Less is more, no T/H is used. The idea there is to uniformize the glitch energy, or make it code independent, and shift its spectrum to the sampling frequency where the so-called anti-imaging LPF can eliminate it. This can't be done with code-dependent glitch energy since quite a lot of it remains withing the signal band. See US5646620...guess it's still protected though.

Not sure slew rate is the right way- the glitches look to have about the same time-voltage area above nominal as below, so a linear filter might be better.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Sure looks nice in simulation.

Reply to