Defeating the mantis part 2

This posting is the second in a series to keep you up to date on this.

> >The world is full of surprises. >I got the software working, there are now 2 problems to overcome: >1) The LCD grab is too slow (I do not get enough frames per second). > >2) On my Samsung syncmaster 206 BW LCD monitor, when looking through the Asus

LCD glasses normally,

that is the head *horizontal* the screen is 100 % black at all times. > >It seems the LCD polarity is 90 degrees reversed from the Asus glasses, like 2

Polaroids, the screen is black!

OK, solved that mystery. As I _did_ use this monitor with the Asus glasses before, and it worked normally, what could it be? The clue: I have 2 Asus LCD shutter glasses. This time I took the very old ones (1995 or so?), and those do not work with this LCD (but work with a CRT of course). Because in case of the LCD, when light comes through, that light has one unique polarisation. Those old glasses, manufactured _before_ LCDs were commonly available, have the polarisation 90 degrees rotated from the LCDs, so nothing comes out when eyes are horizontal and looking at a LCD monitor.

Took my newer (8 year old or so) Asus LCD shutter goggles, the ones I normally use, and all works OK. Turning those 90 degrees blacks out the LCD though... So it seems Asus changed the design when LCDs became available and rotated the polarisation plane

90 degrees to accommodate those (sure hope they do not make them random out of a piece of sheet ;-).

The old ones are in a box marked; Asus VR 3D VR100G, those do not work with LCD. The new ones are in a white box without markings...., those came with the Asus VR7100 de Luxe graphics card I bought in in 2001 or so.

Now that is clear no?? LOL Anyways you need the right glasses, or keep your head tilted all the time, but hey, you could turn the LCD monitor vertical and the cameras too! hehe

On problem left: I need more frames per second. Now that is an adventure involving display, USB, driver, and webcams.

An interesting idea for a new product: TV blank out glasses. When you do NOT want to watch a movie in the living room that everybody else is watching, wear those old LCD glasses. The screen will be 100 % black.

OK Usenet patent, here you find it guys: PRIOR ART. Would not surprise me if somebody already thought of that before me. You can experiment with a LCD monitor and rotating Polaroid sunglasses too I think.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Keep on keeping on Jan, I find it interesting and a learning experience for me. I started from ground zero! First, all I was aware of were video goggles. So I had to get from video goggles to LCD shutter, to your looking at a monitor through the shutter lenses. I'm looking forward to more progress. Mike

Reply to
amdx

es.

ted

he

me,

too

es.

ke

Newer LCDS can use circular polarization.

steve

Reply to
osr