Decreasing voltage (newbie question)

I have a 5 Volt CC, 1 A power source but I need a 3.7 V one. Since I couldn't find the proper power source in any place I hope somebody can tell me how to set the voltage to 3.7, preferably in an easy way, since where I'm living (Dominican Republic) is not easy to get electronic parts.

Thanks in advance, Ben

Reply to
Ben

Hello Ben,

A normal voltage regulator cannot really live with that small differential of 1.3V, you'd need a low dropout regulator (LDO). That may be difficult to buy over there. If the voltage does not have to be precise you could use two diodes in series with the 5V pin. Something big like 3A diodes. The usual 1N4007 is too weak for 1A.

But be aware that with two diodes in series the voltage will not be precise. You could connect a resistor to ground to load the 3.7V side a bit, to avoid excessive voltage under no load.

Sometimes you can also adjust the output voltage inside the supply. But then it may dissipate more heat so you can't load it with the full 1A for too long. If it is a switch mode supply or you don't know how it works I wouldn't do that though. If there is a ham radio operator in your area you could ask, they often know this stuff pretty well.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg