Newbie question: How much more power can I extract out of this device?

x-no-archive:yes

I have a handheld controller with a "low medium high" setting. It runs off 3 AA, 1.5 volt batteries. On top of the controller, there are two plug ins. Each goes to a vibrating motor, one small one large. (Dont ask!)

I need the vibrating motors on the other end to vibrate stronger. How can I tell how much power I can increase it by/ My thinking is wiring in a 9 volt battery. But I also have a case that holds 8 AA 1.5 volt batteries I can install just as easy.

Is there a way I can tell how much I can add before frying the thing? It is not a big loss if I do but just curious.

Thanks very much for your help!

Reply to
stryped

Can't you just switch end to end positions? BTW, I didn't ask! Regards Lee in Toronto

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

Lee

stryped

There's no universal answer to that question. It depends on the ratings of the motors themselves and, probably to a lesser extent, the other components involved including the wiring, connections, switches, ...

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Try to open the housing for the motors, you'll probably find the "vibration" is due to a weight mounted on the shaft. Try changing the size/weight to see if the results are suitable.

Reply to
reply

The whole answer to this question depends on the running duty cycle of the motors. A ( say ) nominally rated 6v motor, would run happily on 12v for probably a minute, but likely not for 3 minutes. If you ran it for a minute on 12v, then left it for 10 seconds before doing it again, it probably wouldn't last then for 30 seconds, but if it was off for a minute, then it would probably be ok again then, for another minute. 50% duty cycle, see ? Double the voltage, half the time on and then off. That's a bit simplistic, and rule of thumb, but with electric motors, should give you an idea of what they will and won't stand.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily