Decline of E+WW

I just got my January issue, with the 4th Cyril Bateman article. While this article alone makes the issue worthwhile for me, there were plenty of other good things to grab my attention. Not one to declare EW down and out, I recently renewed my 3-year subscription. Plus I'll make a submission sometime soon to keep the ball rolling.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

It's all rather a geek scrapbook, I'm afraid. I don't make any claim for them to be any more than that. I just put up stuff I would want to find on the web.

Latest project is a small computer with PAL/NTSC colour video out, like the home computers of the early 1980s, but with modern PS/2 keyboard/mouse/cursor/USB. It's meant to provide a useful human interface and I/O for projects, without the complexity of an embedded PC.

I would like to spend more time on it but I need to find some more paid work soon.

If anyone reading this needs an electronics guy, let me know! :-)

Reply to
Kryten

Total horseshit.

The problem is undoubetedly that very few people will put up with the over TWENTY TIMES REDUCTION in payment rates for writing articles for publication.

Thirty years ago, you could easily get filty rich writing tech stories for magazines. Today, you cannot even remotely approach prison wages.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics   3860 West First Street  Box 809  Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email: don@tinaja.com

Don Lancaster

I suspect Warhol meant bandwidth instead of online storage, and the number thesedays would be more like 15 gigabytes. Actually the modern version of the quote is:

In the future, everyone will be Shashdotted.

I just got turned on to this:

but I still have a hardcopy issue of Creative Computing from 1977 that's not on that site, and it's a hoot.

-----

Ben Bradley

I presume this is a UK magazine, I've heard of it but don't think I've ever seen an issue. It's a shame, I suspect there are a lot fewer non-US publications sold in the US than there are US publications sold elsewhere.

Hmm, I've wanted to make a rectocranial rectifier ever since I worked for my first boss, and whenever I've seen a rectocranial inversion.

-----

Ben Bradley

I read in sci.electronics.design that Ben Bradley wrote (in ) about 'Decline of E+WW', on Thu, 6 Jan 2005:

Is it painful? Can one insure against spelling mistakes?

John Woodgate

Great stuff!. I look forward to the pleasure of reading it. regards john

Reply to
john jardine

I totally agree. It looked remarkable like the (free) Electronics Weekly.

The long 4 part series about high end amplifiers was so badly written that I did not bother to read most of it. And as it was mostly simulated, I have my doubts about the validity (See Robert Pease's articles about his run-ins with SPICE and the article that E&WW ran on simulators..) Not to mention the "magnetic universe"article. I also will not renew my subscription if things do not improve. Wim

Reply to
Wim Ton