DDS

The designers of aqueducts and cathedrals and bridges were called architects. Until a few hundred years ago, 'engineer' meant a builder of engines, i.e. war machines (catapults, arbalests, siege engines).

Until the peace of Westphalia, there wasn't much in the way of literature that can tell us about the state of mathematics in elder times. The recently rediscovered Archimedes codex (palimpsest) has come as somewhat of a revelation in that regard.

Recommendation for reading:

Reply to
whit3rd

Absolutely. Those were the best methods available at the time, so in order to get anything done, they had to do it that way. There are a few instances in which that's still the case, mostly in complex mixed technology situations like autonomous vehicles and space operations. But pure electronics design isn't generally like that any more.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Science just speeds up the process.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Rb and Cs standards tend to use synchronous detection at a CW frequency lik e 137 Hz that doesn't have any low-order harmonics near multiples of 50 or

60 Hz. It's always bothered me that this process works by steering the sys tem towards the point of *worst* signal-to-noise ratio from the perspective of the phase detector. You'd like to lock to the second harmonic instead, but it doesn't convey the phase information needed for a simple lock-in de tector to work.

It would be interesting to build a lock-in loop based on something like a B arker code sequence that's easy to autocorrelate. Whether that would make a difference with a cheap rubidium standard is hard to say...

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

John Larkin - 200 BC, "We build stuff that doesn't fall down (even though we don't have math)."

--

Rick
Reply to

That's a serious problem in optics, if you're surfing on a dark fringe--the SNR goes quadratically to zero there, leading to dead-zone type jitter problems. "Dim-field" measurements, where you servo a bit off the null, are a big improvement.

In this case I think it's okay, because the absorption is relatively weak, so the signal goes only linearly to zero, which is what you actually want. The error is

delta f_rms = noise/slope

which stays bounded.

Any AM on the light source goes away as well.

According to your very spiffy web page, Efratom units have a loop bandwidth someplace around 100 Hz, so their dither must be quite a bit faster than that.

The autocorrelation trick would still be peak-following, though. It's hard to avoid the problem when you're trying to sit right at the RF absorption peak.

It's possible to do it by finite differences instead of differentiating, but it would be much harder to get the RF performance right, I expect.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yeah, I've never done the optical pumping of the hyperfine line of Rb (6.8.... GHz) but the maximum intensity change is never more than a few percent.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I would use multiple frequencies and extrapolate to zero, but then I've been called a wanker.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

That's all? :) Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

So, don't. Measure its length, then weigh it.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to